Another useful tool to add to my arsenal

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I recently saw a youtube video that was a time-lapse recording of somebody feeding and watering all his t's. (It was probably somebody from here, i don't remember) This guy was using a large syringe w/ no needle to both clean and fill water dishes. "Good Idea" I thought to myself. High psi squirts, precise, clean, etc. Certainly superior to the squirt bottle and turkey baster i was currently using.

So i asked my mother who works at a medical research facility to score me some syringes (sounds sketchy when i say it like that, lol). I ended up with an assortment of new 50cc and 30cc syringes and also some 16g and 18g needles. I snapped the sharp tip off a needle and tried using it to inject water into dried substrate in one corner of my H incei enclosure. Previously it was difficult to truly moisten the soil because the water just pools on the surface or webbing then evaporates.

This worked so well i couldn't believe my eyes. Within 12 hours the lil guy had dug up that whole corner and redistributed the moist soil throughout the enclosure. Furthermore he remade much of the whole tunnel network in there to make that corner a 'regular stop'. Then i tried it with my H lividum. She hadn't burrowed more than a couple inches in almost 4 months. 18 hours later she's dug all the way to the bottom of the enclosure right through the spots where i'd introduced about 20cc's total of water.

This is now how i'm keeping the substrate moist on all of my humid species. If you, dear reader have access to some sort of medical supply place i recommend picking up a 50cc syringe and large gauge needle for this purpose. just remember to snap the sharp tip off with wire cutters or something so you don't accidentally impale yourself or a T.

lil-blu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i found that using the "flavor injectors" the ones you can get from the grocery store work the same way and are a bit easier to find. i use them and they work great. and they are cheap ~2 bux:D

Last edited:

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I flogged a few syringes and needles from my cattle prac at the vet school at uni and I use them.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i found that using the "flavor injectors" the ones you can get from the grocery store work the same way and are a bit easier to find. i use them and they works great. and they are cheap ~2 bux:D
!!!!!!!!!!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
local feed and ag center here has them lol
Why do i always find these things out AFTER i go to some rediculous length to obtain somehing. That's what i get for never cooking a turkey or keeping cattle...

Next it's gonna be "Oh yeah, they have poecilotheria and avics over there at the walmart, didn't you know?"

FilliamHMuffman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a syringe I used to medicate my cat. Well, actually we'd throw the pill down his throat and then shoot some water in with this thing and it would force the cat to swallow the pill. But it's excellent for dribbling water into tanks, and for refilling little water cups for the slings. I got mine at Petsmart.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But it's excellent for dribbling water into tanks, and for refilling little water cups for the slings. I got mine at Petsmart.

I'm actually injecting water deep into the substrate which allows it to absorb throughout. It made a huge difference over just dribbling it on the top. Literally an overnight change in the t's behavior because of truly damp soil rather than dry soil with a thin layer of damp soil on top. Give it a try w/ a needle. Your diggers will love you for it.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you have a vet, just ask them for an extra used large syringe or two. That's what I did.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a syringe I used to medicate my cat. Well, actually we'd throw the pill down his throat and then shoot some water in with this thing and it would force the cat to swallow the pill. But it's excellent for dribbling water into tanks, and for refilling little water cups for the slings. I got mine at Petsmart.

My 20 year-old cat gets Sub Q fluids and NOW instead of tossing away the used 100 cc bags I'll know what to do with them!

Another great idea from etown 411!

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an aquarium doser. Its a nice 1liter or so container, tubing and an IV drip part way down the tubing. At the end of the 5t tubing is not a needle but a nice thin tapered plastic tip that I can push down into the substrate,

I usually pick a corner of the tank and shove down in there. I can then control the rate of drip/flow and hydrate the substrate from below the surface.

It allows for a hydrated substrate without making the surface wet...which pisses of my Rosea. I can place a few ounces of water as need with precision into the substrate with out alerting or disturbing my T.

dotdman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Next it's gonna be "Oh yeah, they have poecilotheria and avics over there at the walmart, didn't you know?"
I picked up my first T (subadult fem G. rosea) at a Wal-Mart back in 1991 - no joking. I paid for it with a mailbox-shaped bank full of pennies and nickels (a whole $18.99+tax worth). They've slimmed their pet sections down to handfuls of raunchy looking fish most places these days.

Kindest regards,

Kevin P.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used a large syringe for over a year now. Wash bottles work better. They hold more water and are not as messy