Another Theraphosa surprise

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I cant help it... :D

I have been informed from 2 reliable sources that a 4th Theraphosa sp is on its way of being documented ;).

I need to talk to one of them to see if I can give any names, (sources), althought it is always better to leave this to them so NO MORE MESS is done , but the second source is from my brothers in-laws who work as Geographers in the amazonas jungle in Venezuela, stating that theres some reasearch going on now on the local jungle.

I believe I have seen the specimen on a vid clip and on a picture, and it looks GORGEOUS!

PS: I have no clue of when it will be finally published.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, we want to see the picture too! Interesting. I imagine papers may take quite awhile to get out there if this is confirmed.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, we want to see the picture too! Interesting. I imagine papers may take quite awhile to get out there if this is confirmed.
It appears to be "confirmed" and the revision appears also to be on its way from quite some time now. :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice, i bet you are pretty stoked theres another sp. to add to your collection eventually, huh?

edit: arachnomancer said what i was going to ask far more eloquently, but i am curious as well...

Last edited:

LV-426

Arachnobaron
can you give a description of this new Theraphosa sp? What similarities or differences does this Theraphosa sp have with others in the genus?

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, cool! I was just trying not to get too excited, just in case...but now I will. :D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as I have been informed, it has a similar proportions to Apophysis, a redish- velvetty color and some nice markings on the knees, sort of "stripes".

I have seen a video and a picture, althought Im not 100
sure that is the specimen in question.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
With these kind of posts being made, there will be a need for a "tarantula rumor" subforum. I bet next month on the classifieds we will see Theraphosa sp. "Goliath Velvet Stripe Knee" for sale.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With these kind of posts being made, there will be a need for a "tarantula rumor" subforum. I bet next month on the classifieds we will see Theraphosa sp. "Goliath Velvet Stripe Knee" for sale.
This is legit info, my freind ;) And not much of a News, by the way.

I know what you mean... but that would not be my fault or anybody who wants to share info's fault..It will be the greedy scammer enthusiast and dealers.

I did not came out of the blue with this one, besides, if you take a look on this boards you will see someone menctioning this possible 4th sp several years ago. ;)

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rick West always seems to have cool surprises on his website, any chance of finding a pic there? :drool:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Actually I have one, Pm me with your offers ;)

Later, Tom

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I would not be surprised if there was a fifth Theraphosa sp., over the short years I've seen some quite odd Theraphosa "blondi".

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I would not be surprised if there was a fifth Theraphosa sp., over the short years I've seen some quite odd Theraphosa "blondi".
Like what?:?

Later, Tom

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I once owned a pair of oddballs Theraphosa. Their color and eye markings just not right. They had a odd pink glow to them when they were younger. They were sold to me as T.apophysis. I guess people would now call these T.burgundy, but it seems that T.burgundy is what we call "everything else".

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I once owned a pair of oddballs Theraphosa. Their color and eye markings just not right. They had a odd pink glow to them when they were younger. They were sold to me as T.apophysis. I guess people would now call these T.burgundy, but it seems that T.burgundy is what we call "everything else".
The T. "Burgundy" is now described as Theraphosa stirmi.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Color generally has very little to do with tarantula taxonomy. "Pink glow and eye markings " could have been a number of different genus, never mind the species.

In fact young T. apophysis (& perhaps T. stirmi/spinipes/burgundy/whatever you want to call it) do have a similar "pinkish" flash around the eyes, much like some Pamphobeteus, Xenethis, Phormictopus, ect....

No reason to think you owned oddballs, or that it might be a fifth species. Without proof or pics , comments like "Their color and eye markings just not right." means nothing and should be in the "tarantula rumor" subforum, that Lonnie/AphonopelmaTX suggested.

With that said, I wont doubt a 4th , 5th , 6th 7th sp. with out some evidence.;)

Later, Tom

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
The T. "Burgundy" is now described as Theraphosa stirmi.
Thanks. Searching for it on the the iPod is a pain.:eek:

Yes Tom, I am aware that my observance is lacking is taxonomic value, but I was not expecting to be called out on my comment, lol. Just my opinion from the variance I've witness in this genus.

Last edited: