Another scorp dropped (figuratively) in my lap.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I was at the pet store where a fellow was buying a G. rosea tarantula. that of course led us to chatting about tarantulas, which in turn led to scorpions. He said he had a gravid Asian forest scorpion female that was gonna have babies at some point, and that he'd give me one if all went well.

I didn't run onto him again for several months, and just assumed the brood failed or he simply forgot or changed his mind. several months later, I encountered him again and he said she still had not delivered, but he still planned on giving me one. More time passed and i reached the same conclusion as I had did before.

But a week ago, he delivered! People in the arachnid hobby can be great in wanting to share.

Maybe 3/4 of an inch not including tail, but I'm a poor judge of size. In the picture I'm posting, you may estimate him in relationship to the standard small deli-cup he is in.
He seemed afraid of the very small cricket I offered, but then i prekilled it and left it in the cup. It was gone the next morning. A couple nights later I offered another pre-killed and returned to find him munching on it. So at least he is doing well enough to want to eat thus far.

If anybody has any insights on it, I'm ready to hear them. i am of course researching, but first-hand advice is always good. Don't know what instar he may currently be at, for example. I have an arid species that Ive had a few months over a year, a Smeringurs mesaensis, but this will be my first attempt at a tropical scorpion.

In the cup.
m_IMG_5891crop.jpg

Same,but cropped in further.

m_IMG_5891crop2.jpg

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
that's awesome! congrats on the freebie. I can only offer basic advice on that genus so ill wait for someone else with more experience to chime in. I'm more of a desert type dweller guy myself. again though....congrats on the cool scorp.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
What are the size of the live crickets you are using in proportion to the scorpion, @Tim Benzedrine ? My trio of P. imperators never refused live prey and I have had them since 2i.

Do you pull off the jumping legs on the crickets ?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Very small while still being proportional to the size of the scorp.With the first one, I wondered if it might be in pre-moult. I had no idea if the same rules that apply to spiders apply to scorps, so I opted for the safe route just in case. After he ate that one, I figured why not just go ahead and pre-kill until he grows a bit. I also figured that was the best way to know if the food had been eaten and not hiding.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I void-dived to retrieve this thread to mention that the scorp sucessfully completed his first moult in my care yesterday, exactly six months after I received him, and to pose a question. how long should one wait before offering food to a moulted scorpion? I'm well-versed in the guidelines for tarantulas but a little unsure when it comes to scorpions. After I feel it is safe to transfer it, it'll be rehoused.

Here is the obligatory "before and after" shot.

m_IMG_6040crop2bright-horz.jpg

And a look at the retrieved exoskeleton...sitting on a U.S. quarter

m_IMG_6106crop.jpg

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say around a week, or week and a half, as always watch your animals behavior towards it's prey and remove in eaten prey after a few hours or so.

I'm anticipating my first scorpion molt soon.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
just had my first few scorpion molts as well, really cool. their exos are already in neat postures so you dont need to mess with them either.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, the condition of the moult kind of surprised me. I'm used to the tangled legs and torn areas that I've grown accustomed to with tarantulas.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It recently took down its first prey item that had not been pre-killed in advance. I had figured it was time for it to try when it tried to take ME down when I was trying to coax it it into a pose for a picture. It whipped that little tail at my finger. I was amused, it is still pretty small and I did not feel very threatened. That didn't stop me from hastily pulling my finger back though, and it missed.

It is now time to move it into a bigger enclosure. The moult created a growth spurt. I was ready to move it up anyway, but I wanted to wait until after the moult.

Reaping the reward of first kill:

m_IMG_6117crop.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Oh, yes. The little thing postures and might as well shout "I'll steeng you!" Quick little buggers at this size, too.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Oh, yes. The little thing postures and might as well shout "I'll steeng you!" Quick little buggers at this size, too.
My larger forest species are a bit slower but certainly fast enough.

My arid species have taken the concept of speed to a whole new level, possibly because of where they come from and the less available prey than in an abundant rain forest.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I had a Smeringurus mesaensis (now deceased) that was a bolt of lightning, so I know of what you speak. Your theory on the speed of desert species holds water, I think.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Not really. The fellow said it was a Asian Forest Scorpion, so I'm sort of assuming that is probably Heterometrus longimanus, as they are the most common in the pet trade, I believe. Hopefully it is not a spinifer. If he bought the mother it here locally, it is almost surely the former. H. spinifer is said to have a more toxic sting that is not particularly dangerous, but pretty painful. However, no matter what species it is, I'll be treating it as I do all of my venomous critters (that is to say-tarantulas) with respect. Especially until it gets bigger and I can perhaps get a positive ID.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
My C gracilis are ninjas they're pretty hard to disturb you gotta really nudge at em but once they take off. No catching an

Heterometrus are cool. Was my very first scorp. Treated him real good but lost interest in it very quickly for some reason

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I dropped one in my own lap this time. Only set me back 9 bucks total (although I took the critter keeper it was in at 1/2 price for the sake of transporting convenience, an additional $3.98, but you can never have too many spare enclosures. ;) ), so I figured what the heck. Funny thing is, I've also been offered a couple more young ones for free. I'm not sure if the offer will become a reality, so I bought this one anyway. :D
I could have bought another one that looked like it could have been gravid, but how many of these things do I need, anyway? This one was smaller and I figured with luck, I'll have it longer than I'd have the more mature one, maybe. It will have to wait until tomorrow before it gets a nicer enclosure.

m_IMG_6139crop.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, it conveniently decided to pose for me, so I took the opportunity to take a ventral photo. Would any of our resident scorpion gurus want to take a shot at sexing? I guess it isn't really that important, I don't intend to attempt to breed them, and I am thinking it is not as crucial to longevity as it is with tarantulas, it would just be interesting to know, really. m_IMG_6144crop.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well, it conveniently decided to pose for me, so I took the opportunity to take a ventral photo. Would any of our resident scorpion gurus want to take a shot at sexing? I guess it isn't really that important, I don't intend to attempt to breed them, and I am thinking it is not as crucial to longevity as it is with tarantulas, it would just be interesting to know, really. View attachment 236296
Nice pic, Tim ;)

Not certain on the sex though. I'm not the best at that.