Another Random Queston - is my Parabuthus l(e)iosoma an adult?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I'm really terrible at figuring out sizes of scorpions, especially if it involves measuring the metasoma. Would you say this specimen is an adult? I've had her since December with no molts.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would say yes, especially if it is from a Tanzanian line of descent like most in the hobby are.

John

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really dont know for sure but it seems small even when compared to the Tanzanians that I have had in the past. Now if it had the bulbous chela then yes it would be an adult male. Some adult males are about that size. If it is a male it is obviously a juvenile as they are not that plump when adult and of course the fact it lacks the bulbous chela. They grow fairly slow. I have some subadults that havent molted since last Summer so no worries there. IME it takes 2 yrs or more for this genus to mature

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's a female, if that affects your judgement. Thanks for your info, Brian.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How do you know for sure if its a female?
Will you do me a favor? Look at the pectin and tell me if you see this lobe at the base. I am not sure if this works on P liosoma but it does on P trans, P moss etc

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's how I knew it was a female. I can double check, just to be sure, but I believe I saw that little spur thingy on her before.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If its a female then it looks too small even for Tanzanian standards IMO.
Here is a pair mating. Its easy to see which is the male in this pic. The female was about the size of A australis adult

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks female to me.

Another size comparison - that's a 9-oz deli cup she's in.

zoom

So does she look immature to you, Brian?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah it looks like you have a girl there. I bet it has 1 more molt left. Keep feeding and keep your temps at 80-87F. After another molt find her a boyfriend