another question..G. pulchra..

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The one who got me started in all these Ts,slings, and mites, and mold, and tunnels, and cameras..lol.
Recall that I posted she had made a mountain around her waterdish..no dirt in it, just heaped alllllll around it? Well, she webbed up the top of her water volcano and is now hanging out on it..so I have a question.
Could she be trying to tell me that her humidity is too low? As in, "HEY lady! I would like to molt, but it is too dry in here?"
I keep the substrate damp...I overfill her waterdish often..one side of the tank is damper than the other...should I do more?
She is still eating just fine, doesnt show signs of pre-molt..(thats her in the two picts i posted).

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People have interpreted hanging around a water dish as a signal that the humidity is too low, but it may be the spider is just hanging around there instead of someplace else. I notice mine likes to start digging around an object - this is their nature, since they are "opportunistic burrowers". They're designed to make use of existing structures. It may be it's the dish and not the water that is atracting your Brazilian Black's presence.

In fact, I have noticed that mine prefers the driest part of the cage, steering clear of the corner that I mist. You may want to test this by keeping one half of your cage moist, and the other half dry, with hide structures in both, and see which one that it prefers.

Last edited:

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wellll,

She laid down a whole new sheet of webbing over her volcano..the waterdish is just a juice lid. Not the most impressive thing in her tank to web around.There is an artifical dogwood branch in there and a hide...which she excavated all the dirt out of to put around her water volcano/mountain....She is directly in between the moist side and the drier side. So, maybe she is just decorating...I haven't got a clue. Unless she is getting near a molt...which I have no idea on that either...I will have to ask the dealer I bought her from , if he knows when she last molted.
Heck, maybe she was just bored..lol..

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kim,
My G. pulchra molted today. :) I knew it was in pre-molt. It stopped eating about 10 days ago. Then burrow in, under its hide. Its really black for the first time.

Ernie

All I can do is dream you.
Roy Orbison

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
cool.

They are really cool. Mine is still eating..and i asked Bryan, and he said she molted three weeks before i got her..which would have made that the first week of January. So, I decided..she is just remodeling her tank. :)

I think i am figurin out this darn camera....maybe..

Kim

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: wellll,

Originally posted by rapunzel
She laid down a whole new sheet of webbing over her volcano..the waterdish is just a juice lid. Not the most impressive thing in her tank to web around.There is an artifical dogwood branch in there and a hide...which she excavated all the dirt out of to put around her water volcano/mountain....She is directly in between the moist side and the drier side. So, maybe she is just decorating...I haven't got a clue. Unless she is getting near a molt...which I have no idea on that either...I will have to ask the dealer I bought her from , if he knows when she last molted.
Heck, maybe she was just bored..lol..
I would say it will stop eating soon.