Another question about the ol' Cobalt

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
One thing I noticed that confused me.
She comes out at night sometimes and i see her laying web. But it only looks like she's laying web, the web is never actually there.
Why would this be?

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One thing I noticed that confused me.
She comes out at night sometimes and i see her laying web. But it only looks like she's laying web, the web is never actually there.
Why would this be?
that sounds like what my g. rosea does. your t might be laying web, but you cant see it. mine does that when its eating. im might be wrong though.

edit: what i mean is the webbing is very thin and spread apart, so you can only see it if you look at the right angle.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think those are trap lines... whisps of webbing that allow the spider to know when a potential prey item might be moving around in the area when she's down in her burrow.. then bam.. runs out and grabs.

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with the above mine use to do the same thing!! Was webbing the peat moss but nothin coming out!!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not only that but they act as a trail to follow back to the saftey of the burrow.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup, she is preparing to spend a lifetime in a burrow. With those she can feel her prey coming and doesn't ever need to come out to search for food. Ever. ;)

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yup, she is preparing to spend a lifetime in a burrow. With those she can feel her prey coming and doesn't ever need to come out to search for food. Ever. ;)
Whaaaat? Weird. She's not even in a burrow and she hasn't eaten since i bought her... that's weird, I don't understand...

Tuishimi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Aphonopelma was doing something like that while he was eating the other day. I thought it was just part of his "dance" but he was touching the soil with his spinnerets. I couldn't see if any webbing was there. He's touchy.

I'm watching him groom right now. He seems to like the new cage I put him in. Bigger and has a log in it, like the one my other Aph. has and seems to like.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't know. My Cobalt just seems to be acting weird to me. They're supposed to be all agressive and stuff but I moved her hiding spot she was in and changed her substrate with my hands right in front of her and she doesn't even move. Or eat. Or anything.

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know. My Cobalt just seems to be acting weird to me. They're supposed to be all agressive and stuff but I moved her hiding spot she was in and changed her substrate with my hands right in front of her and she doesn't even move. Or eat. Or anything.

Hmm is kinda weird might be wildcaught?? Just a wild guess mine was like that and everytime i came in my room it would get scared. :?

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not sure, got her from the local pet store and they knew nothing about her and she only had seven legs, so i bought her, and i loooove her, I just want her to start acting normal.

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not sure, got her from the local pet store and they knew nothing about her and she only had seven legs, so i bought her, and i loooove her, I just want her to start acting normal.

Yea petstores never do anything freaking right!! Well mine here is a lil petshop but they really take care of the animals other places dont give 2 cent to make sure an animal is healthy. I think either because their scared of the unusual pets are just dont wanna deal with them!! How much did you pay for her and is she really blue?? Sorry no offence id never buy a invert with missing legs i know it seems sad but its just a thing with me.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well her leg will com back of course so i don't mind. She's not that vibrant blue like you see in all the pictures, but she is pretty. I paid $40 for her.

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well her leg will com back of course so i don't mind. She's not that vibrant blue like you see in all the pictures, but she is pretty. I paid $40 for her.

Yea true true it will come back im just not the pantient type haha.. Yea 40 dollars is what most always sell them for ive noticed over the months if you look on here you'll find cheaper ones. I paid 45 for mine the petstore ordered her for me it was labeled cobalt blue birdeater guess because of the size. It was well over 5 inches prolly 6 at the most. Died within 3 days but they replaced it 1st wasnt all that blue people said it was a male it roamed the enclosure when i put it in there. Second was a lil prettier but died within a months time so i was like scew it. And as for the vibrant blues yea ive seen lots of pretty ones even electric blue. They need to do a contest for the most prettiest H. lividum (Cobalt Blue).