Another question about my Brazilian Black sling...

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
My sling is very very small and I know they like to burrow and I know it shouldn’t have a water dish yet, I’m just confused on if I should put water droplets on the side of the enclosure or in the substrate for drink? I’ve never had a sling this small I have pics for reference of the enclosure do I have enough substrate?

My sling is very very small and I know they like to burrow and I know it shouldn’t have a water dish yet, I’m just confused on if I should put water droplets on the side of the enclosure or in the substrate for drink? I’ve never had a sling this small I have pics for reference of the enclosure do I have enough substrate?
Also an edit, the substrate is already moist I think I’m just misting the sides of the enclosure too much. I thought that was for the sling to drink

Attachments

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I don't know about other folks,but i always use a water dish,no matter how small the spider.
That enclosure seems a bit big for a G. Pulchra sling. I wouldn't worry about your sling outgrowing the enclosure,as that wont happen in quite a while. It's a slow grower.
I would rehouse in a deli cup,filled with good amount of substrate and a water dish. Whenever you fill the water dish,always overflow it a little so the spider has extra moisture,since its a sling. Good luck!

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
I don't know about other folks,but i always use a water dish,no matter how small the spider.
That enclosure seems a bit big for a G. Pulchra sling. I wouldn't worry about your sling outgrowing the enclosure,as that wont happen in quite a while. It's a slow grower.
I would rehouse in a deli cup,filled with good amount of substrate and a water dish. Whenever you fill the water dish,always overflow it a little so the spider has extra moisture,since its a sling. Good luck!
Thank you for the info! I’ve heard using a water dish could drown the sling but I used a water dish for my last two, they were at like 1/2 an inch though and my Brazilian Black is much smaller as you can see. That’s why I was concerned.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Points from me:
Smaller enclosure
More dirt (you don't want there to be nearly as much height from the substrate to the top of the enclosure as you have now)
The bottle: if it has sharp sides it needs to go.
Don't mist. It's not needed. Water dish and overfill it so that one corner is damp.

Tarantulas will not drown in a water dish.

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
Points from me:
Smaller enclosure
More dirt (you don't want there to be nearly as much height from the substrate to the top of the enclosure as you have now)
The bottle: if it has sharp sides it needs to go.
Don't mist. It's not needed. Water dish and overfill it so that one corner is damp.

Tarantulas will not drown in a water dish.
I’m removing the cup ASAP I thought it would be a nice hideout but you’re right way too sharp. Thank you for the info!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd rehouse to a 16oz deli cup and provide a bottle cap water dish

I thought it would be a nice hideout
Hides should be opaque and they shouldn't be dead ends, they're basically meant to be the starting point for a burrow (for example, in the pic below I've partially buried a piece of curved bark and made a hole that she can expand as needed).

13L hobby life tub.jpg

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
I'd rehouse to a 16oz deli cup and provide a bottle cap water dish

Hides should be opaque and they shouldn't be dead ends, they're basically meant to be the starting point for a burrow (for example, in the pic below I've partially buried a piece of curved bark and made a hole that she can expand as needed).

View attachment 356298
I think I’m gonna switch to a deli cup in the morning but I just put the sling in there from the original pill bottle like a week ago is rehousing twice In one month too stressful for the T?

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I think I’m gonna switch to a deli cup in the morning but I just put the sling in there from the original pill bottle like a week ago is rehousing twice In one month too stressful for the T?
The spider may be stressed,but it does not have emotions or thoughts so i wouldnt worry about a tarantula being hurt or dying from stress.
Now a fall from a tall point or injury from a sharp object can definetly do that,so dont worry about stressing the spider and get it to a safe place :D
Cheers and good luck!

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
The spider may be stressed,but it does not have emotions or thoughts so i wouldnt worry about a tarantula being hurt or dying from stress.
Now a fall from a tall point or injury from a sharp object can definetly do that,so dont worry about stressing the spider and get it to a safe place :D
Cheers and good luck!
Perfect thank you so much!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
is rehousing twice In one month too stressful for the T?
No it is perfectly fine, it will just need additional time to settle in after rehouse, so if it’s not acting how it normally would it’s due to that.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
for my smallest slings I just mist the top of the deli cup and dampen the substrate in one area. The size of that enclosure has plenty of room for a dish. I agree, it looks a bit big

Talenti Ice Cream pints can be used as intermediate housing in a pinch

and if you are worried about drownings, put a clean rock in the water dish

Last edited by a moderator:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
which is why I wrote "If you are worried" it is more for the owner than the T. Though I have seen crickets drown
Yes but your implying that there is something to worry about which spreads misinformation around for uninformed people. I get your purpose now no worries but saying “don’t worry it can’t drown” is better than “if you are worried”.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
duly noted. but this misinformation is essentially harmless

Last edited:

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Not as stressful as being in an inappropriate setup, I’d rehouse ASAP.

As others have reciprocated drowning isn‘t a problem, as long as the sling is healthy it’ll work it’s way out of the bowl as easily as it fell in.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
On the note of "tarantulas cant drown".

They actually can drown, but its very unlikely/improbable for it to happen.

Some tarantulas will float and "swim", others will sink and hide below a rock under water, but as long as they can get off the water they won't drown.

In other words, the "floating swimmers" have to swim long hours to drown, and the sinkers have to stay underwater, also for hours, to drown.

So, unless you put a water bowl where your tarantula can't get out (either floating or sinking) it will be okay.

Last edited: