Another pheromone/hormone discussion

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Haven't made a post in ages, however this is the best place to have a scientific based conversatuon, as opposed to highly opinionated.

So I think it makes good sense that Ts produce hormones, to reach sexual maturity, making sperm webs, hooking out, ect. They must also produce pheromones, which attracts them together, gets them tapping, and in the end breeding. I'm thinking these chemicals are excreted through webbing? Anyone know for sure, or have speculations? Anyways, what I'm trying to get it is a discussion on if we may be able to collect these chemicals and use them to our advantage?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Anyways, what I'm trying to get it is a discussion on if we may be able to collect these chemicals and use them to our advantage?
Many breeders already do. Taking some web from the female's enclosure and putting it in with the male is a sure fire way to get him in the mood. I haven't seen it work going the other way, though.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Many breeders already do. Taking some web from the female's enclosure and putting it in with the male is a sure fire way to get him in the mood. I haven't seen it work going the other way, though.
Weird that I don't hear about that more, sounds like an extremely useful trick.