Another OBT thread :)

T o m

Arachnopeon
Ok so upon purchasing 4 slings and a juvi I would like to know what is the best way to house these little beauties..I kept the Juvi in a terrestrial setup but he/she dug a small burrow on the first night and now spends the whole day on top of its hide or on the side of the tank...Would it be best to move it to an arboreal set up but with a good few inches of substrate underneath or just leave it be? The slings have all burrowed but only 1 of them is constantly in the burrow the rest have webbed up top and hang out the top of the webbing

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Trying to force it to behave differently will only stress it out. And in the end, it will still hide. If it doesn't burrow it will web. Let it do what it wants and enjoy it for what it is.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Trying to force it to behave differently will only stress it out. And in the end, it will still hide. If it doesn't burrow it will web. Let it do what it wants and enjoy it for what it is.
This x 1000.

It can be frustrating not to be able to see certain species, especially one as colorful as the OBT, but that just adds to their allure and personality.

greg larkins

Arachnopeon
Ok so upon purchasing 4 slings and a juvi I would like to know what is the best way to house these little beauties..I kept the Juvi in a terrestrial setup but he/she dug a small burrow on the first night and now spends the whole day on top of its hide or on the side of the tank...Would it be best to move it to an arboreal set up but with a good few inches of substrate underneath or just leave it be? The slings have all burrowed but only 1 of them is constantly in the burrow the rest have webbed up top and hang out the top of the webbing
i got an OBT about 5 weeks ago. he's molted since then and is now about 1.5 - 1.75"

i keep it in one of those little containers you put olives in at the grocery store. you know, the olive bar plastic containers. i only wish i had a clear one, mine is like a foggy color white, but i can use a flashlight to see the spider, so no big worries.

i used about an inch and a half of jungle bed for substrate. and it has really taken to it's environment. the entire floor is a big house, lol. lots of doorways too. mine tends to hang out on top of the house too, but i dont think its cause for concern. i figured it had something to do with instinct, more or less.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got an OBT about 5 weeks ago. he's molted since then and is now about 1.5 - 1.75"

i keep it in one of those little containers you put olives in at the grocery store. you know, the olive bar plastic containers. i only wish i had a clear one, mine is like a foggy color white, but i can use a flashlight to see the spider, so no big worries.

i used about an inch and a half of jungle bed for substrate. and it has really taken to it's environment. the entire floor is a big house, lol. lots of doorways too. mine tends to hang out on top of the house too, but i dont think its cause for concern. i figured it had something to do with instinct, more or less.
Uhmn...I know I am new to T's ...but. I would suggest some type of container that will not make feeding a very risky busniess, if you read all the posts with peoples OBT flying out in a frenzy of bity escapeism...you may want something better than a deli cup? Even just a tall SCREW ON spice jar, or snakc container?
Just saying....

greg larkins

Arachnopeon
i get what your saying, but this enclosure works well. the lid is flexible, so i dont have to remove it completely. i'm not stupid, bro and would never ever underestimate this species capabilities.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I am definitely stupid as I have no idea how to remove this lid and feed him or get water in his dish.....he has webbed it shut and if I go near it he gets pretty DEFENSIVE, not aggressive mind you, but defends his space. Hmmm...

Attachments

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
Well I am definitely stupid as I have no idea how to remove this lid and feed him or get water in his dish.....he has webbed it shut and if I go near it he gets pretty DEFENSIVE, not aggressive mind you, but defends his space. Hmmm...
Lol! Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this picture. I was thinking of getting the same type of container for my A. avic. and P. irminia just yesterday BUT though about exactly what you have pictured. Lol! Don't know what to tell you. {D

winwin

Arachnoknight
If you wanna see it more often, put less substrate and a piece of wood or something to web on with no hides, it will make it's own web home and tunnels, that way it will be comfortable and visible... That's what I did with my OBT before it turned to MM(in 5months from 1cm!) and got shipped out and bred 3 females and he was fed to the last female. :(

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i get what your saying, but this enclosure works well. the lid is flexible, so i dont have to remove it completely. i'm not stupid, bro and would never ever underestimate this species capabilities.
I wasn't infering you were stupid but I have had trouble getting the lid on a deli cup from time to time..I was just thinking of it going...not so well. It's okay.

greg larkins

Arachnopeon
I wasn't infering you were stupid but I have had trouble getting the lid on a deli cup from time to time..I was just thinking of it going...not so well. It's okay.
yeah, the thin rigid ones are terrible. i got thicker plastic, it's not rigid, it's flexible so it all works out good. no worries man. i'm actually about to feed it now...

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, the thin rigid ones are terrible. i got thicker plastic, it's not rigid, it's flexible so it all works out good. no worries man. i'm actually about to feed it now...
Even among thin ones there's a lot of variation. I found a source that provides cups with lids that can be opened and closed pretty easily - but I've had others where the lids had to be wrestled on and off. Makes a big difference when you need to keep track of what the spiders are doing when you open the lid.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My OBT slings are in similar containers, though I used the thin.shallow lid, not the deep one. Get a thin sheet of rigid plastic - even a plastic plate - and cut it slightly wider than the mouth of the cube. As you open the cube, gently slide the plastic across the opening. This should keep the spider from running UP and and at you. (Mine all go down into their hides with no problem). When you know where the spider is, slide the plate to one side or the other. Then feed and water, slide plastic out and secure lid. They will re-web.

Marga

OBT1

Arachnosquire
If your obt stays by the water dish id recomend proding it out to the farthest away area then gently place a dixie cup on it to temporarely trap it then change the dish.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here :

Alright, here it is:

There are two ways to access the search tool. From the main page, you can access it in the toolbar directly below your login information (top right corner) and across the length of the site, horizontally:

To access from a sub-forum, it is located below the page select quick-links, on the right:

With either method, click it, and it opens a text box to insert search criteria:

You can type the criteria and click 'Go', and that's that. If you would rather do a more advanced search, click the 'Advanced Search' link.

Advanced searching

Here's the advanced menu:

If you are already in a subforum, it will highlight it and only search through there. To change the forum you would like to search, just scroll and click the proper forum.

To select whether you want to search all posts or only titles, use the drop-down box just below the keyword(s) text box:

And finally, if you are searching for multiple words and would like them all to appear in your search results (as opposed to only one or two of the words appearing), be sure to put quotes (" ") around the words. For example, if you are searching for 'pine bark', you will get results with the word 'pine' only and 'bark' unless you put it in quotes ("pine bark").

I hope this is helpful to everyone.

--Joe