Another noob question what is a suitable water bowl for juvie?

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Any help would again be really appreciated I don't want a bowl that's too big and my spider ends up drowning in it I'm so new and I'm really overthinking it all at the moment I have a coca cola lid with some water In it which I feel is too small also the temp is 21 degrees for my firleg he/she has finally moved but has gone to top corner of tank is my T too hot or is he just chilling? My substrate is not bone dry has a little moisture so maybe that's why he's in the corner? Many thanks in advance to all you wonderful helpful ppl 😁

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
It depends of the size of the t, but you can use bottle caps, legos, etc. Another option is to drizzle some water in a corner or side of the enclosure.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
He is 5cm I'll add a photo
Oh at that size a good sized water bottle cap would be just fine. I’m not an expert on the subject but from what I’ve gathered here is tarantulas drowning is a myth. I for one have never had it happen and I’ve kept small tattoo ink caps as water dishes with pretty small slings without incident. Don’t quote me on it, but I wouldn’t worry too much

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any help would again be really appreciated I don't want a bowl that's too big and my spider ends up drowning in it I'm so new and I'm really overthinking it all at the moment I have a coca cola lid with some water In it which I feel is too small also the temp is 21 degrees for my firleg he/she has finally moved but has gone to top corner of tank is my T too hot or is he just chilling? My substrate is not bone dry has a little moisture so maybe that's why he's in the corner? Many thanks in advance to all you wonderful helpful ppl 😁
One that holds water- don’t overthink this, it’s not rocket science :cool: :lol: :rofl:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
One that holds water- don’t overthink this, it’s not rocket science :cool: :lol: :rofl:
Ha! Reminds me of an old Judge Judy episode where a young girl explains what rocket science is to the judge. Hey...don’t judge, I’m not particularly proud of my trash tv watching...I’m better now.

The Coke cap is fine. And to answer a future question on why the water is gone so fast, it could be from a leaky water “bowl”, natural evaporation and/or wicking. Wicking is where there may be web in the dish and absorbs the water or some crazy thing like that...the rocket scientists can explain it better, way above my pay grade.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Ha! Reminds me of an old Judge Judy episode where a young girl explains what rocket science is to the judge. Hey...don’t judge, I’m not particularly proud of my trash tv watching...I’m better now.

The Coke cap is fine. And to answer a future question on why the water is gone so fast, it could be from a leaky water “bowl”, natural evaporation and/or wicking. Wicking is where there may be web in the dish and absorbs the water or some crazy thing like that...the rocket scientists can explain it better, way above my pay grade.
Thanks for the advice/rocket science lecture 🤣

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
It is really rare that you will see a tarantula drown but it is posstible. For 1 inch slings I would use bottle caps, there shallow and you can find an abundance of them.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Slings get a water bottle cap.

Juvies get a gallon milk jug cap.

Scales accordingly with size. just about any plastic, screw-on lid that you can find.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Tarantulas are ridiculously hard to drown.

For juvies I use wider bottle caps or the caps from deodorant/shaving tins (wash them thoroughly before use).

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
bottle caps. Here's my Boehmi Set Up Top and Side View. Side View you can see the hide and the split level
Boehmi top2.jpg Boehmi Side.jpg

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
All I see is a case holding glass instead of Ts- shame shame!
that's the dining room. It has good light for photos, but yes I should talk to the Mrs, I could add another half dozen to the collection, who needs glasses and plates!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that's the dining room. It has good light for photos, but yes I should talk to the Mrs, I could add another half dozen to the collection, who needs glasses and plates!
Spoken like a true disciple dedicated to the Cause!!!

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are ridiculously hard to drown.

For juvies I use wider bottle caps or the caps from deodorant/shaving tins (wash them thoroughly before use).

Beautiful pictures is this your T? What species is it?