another newbie in need of help

ghostly

Arachnopeon
Hi!
I'm not entirely new to the hobby - I got my first b smithi around two years ago. Sadly he molted into an adult male right after I got him and he passed away earlier this year. So I recently decided to start a tiny collection (for now) and got myself a juvenile female b boehmei and two slings. :embarrassed: Obviously I'm nervous / paranoid about pretty much everything right now and I hope I can get a few tips/corrections/reassurance...

Firstly, is it normal for a b boehmei with 2'' DLS to refuse food? I got her three weeks ago and she hasn't eaten yet. I have tried crickets and mealworms in various sizes but she ignores it all. Her abdomen is rather large but there is no dark/bold spot, so I have no idea if she's about to molt? Otherwise she's okay, sits outside her hide all day and practises her threat postures like a big girl. She's in a critter keeper on dry substrate with a water dish, is that even alright for a 2'' juvenile?

Secondly, and this is going to sound dumb, but I have trouble determining how moist the substrate for the slings has to be because i've never done this before. I have a b vagans and a b albopilosum sling and they're both a bit under 1''... they both don't burrow and i'm terrified that they might end up dehydrated? I sprayed the deli cups so the substrate is moist.. but i feel like i'm doing it all wrong lol I'm so damn worried about those tiny spiders.

I'm thankful for all sorts of tips, thank you in advance

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Though I haven't kept any of the species you mentioned I can sort of parrot back the things I've read from others here.
First, I wouldn't be worried about your boehmei, sometimes spiders just don't eat for a bit. A couple of mine eat very rarely. I try not to think of them like any other animal I've kept. They would all eat whenever food was offered, Ts are more of an "I'll eat when I need to" animal. Second, yes the water dish is fine for a 2" T. According to a lot of others, it would even be fine for the smaller ones.
Because I'm not 100% sure I won't say anything more. More experienced members will definitely see this and offer some advice though, I'm sure.

Vezon

Arachnopeon
There is a 99% chance that there is absolutely nothing wrong or strange going on with your B. boehmei. As for the spiderlings, if they are still too small for a water dish, I would just dampen a quarter of the substrate in their enclosures and just re-dampen when it dries out. I have kept both of those species at that size, and that has always worked for me.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Hi!

Firstly, is it normal for a b boehmei with 2'' DLS to refuse food?I got her three weeks ago and she hasn't eaten yet. I have tried crickets and mealworms in various sizes but she ignores it all. Her abdomen is rather large but there is no dark/bold spot, so I have no idea if she's about to molt? Otherwise she's okay, sits outside her hide all day and practises her threat postures like a big girl. She's in a critter keeper on dry substrate with a water dish, is that even alright for a 2'' juvenile?
Many T's take weeks to acclimate to a new enclosure. During that time they may act odd, odder than normal. This can include not eating, strange postures, and seeming to dislike the new substrate.

Secondly, and this is going to sound dumb, but I have trouble determining how moist the substrate for the slings has to be because i've never done this before. I have a b vagans and a b albopilosum sling and they're both a bit under 1''... they both don't burrow and i'm terrified that they might end up dehydrated? I sprayed the deli cups so the substrate is moist.. but i feel like i'm doing it all wrong lol I'm so damn worried about those tiny spiders.
I would give them a damp area and a dry one. I would also give them a dish of some sort as they are not too small for one. You can use all sorts of things as a place for clean water. Some people use legos, while others make them out of hot glue using the end of a pen as a mold. I use the caps found on fountain pen ink vials.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Yup, all they need is a moist spot and a dry area. On the moist spot, my rule of thumb is if the substrate sticks to your finger when you touch it, it's plenty moist.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
The only time I haven't provided a water dish is when it is a really really small sling and the enclosure is just too small, but that is pretty rare. Even .5 inch slings I generally will start out in a 16 oz deli cup and there is plenty of room there for a water bottle cap for a water dish. But if you can't do that then I agree with the others...just moisten a side or a corner of the enclosure every once in a while. Or if it is a webbing species, a few drops of water on the webbing a couple times a week works well too.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
IIRC, somebody said that spiders do get a lot of their EXTERNAL moisture through their pads until they are 2-3 inches+.

However, it isn't something to be worried about unless you have something like...an H. gigas that needs to swim. Most tarantulas, and arachnids in general, get almost all of their moisture from their food.

ghostly

Arachnopeon
thank you so much guys, i'm already a little less worried. i'll get water dishes for the slings today.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Firstly, is it normal for a b boehmei with 2'' DLS to refuse food? I got her three weeks ago and she hasn't eaten yet. I have tried crickets and mealworms in various sizes but she ignores it
It's probably nothing to worry about, if you could get a picture of your T and it's enclosure we can probably confirm if everything is okay. Brachypelma species often fast, at that size as long as it's got water it should be fine.
Secondly, and this is going to sound dumb, but I have trouble determining how moist the substrate for the slings has to be because i've never done this before.
It's hard to find the right balance, but with time you will be able to tell what they prefer. As long as they have a moist side and dry side they should thrive.