Another new spider

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not bad. $10 CDN for the whole setup as is in a private sale. (Not from a pet shop for once:D ). The lid alone is worth $20 and my other rose hair I paid $40 for at the pet shop and it just runs to its hide every time you walk by it. I already know I have to change the substrate here. This one survived a car ride here and READILY ate 2 crickets when offered. They said the last time it was fed was about 2 weeks ago and they also said it molted about 2 weeks ago too. It would have refused the crickets before the molt so now I have concerns they may have fed it right after the molt. Spider seems alert and its fangs seem black & healthy though. Fine layer of webbing on the bottom of the cage and is following the whole pet rock routine. It doesnt run away if you walk by it....which is good. Im beginning to think after seeing this one my pet store rosie is one of them "psycho rosies".:?

Last edited:

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sounds just like a typical rosea :) yh i think the guy got it wrong about feeding it just after its moult. sometimes they will feed if their fangs harden (turn black) within a week .
with my rosea u can put ur hand on the glass in front of it and will still just sit there ;p

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get that bark substrate out of there! Trust me it will make you sorry you ever used it. Get some peat, or coco fiber. Also thats way too much room in there for that T to climb and possibly fall and then you have a dead beautiful G. rosea. Get peat.... throw in a good 6" of substrate... keep the water dish and hides, and you will be all good to go!
-Nate

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It does make a huge difference to the rosea about substrate so here is the been-there-done-that, gentle touch:

I housed mine in all vermiculite and kept wondering why she never came out of her heavily webbed hide. Well, I found out she hated the substrate!!! That was why she covered it over with webbing. Now I have her on moss and potting soil and she is happy. I used to think I had a psycho-rosea too but now she is happier and so am I. Good luck!

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The peat moss is going to have to wait till my next wal-mart trip.
But its the rose hair on the cork bark that is acting normal and the one that is on the peat moss is the psycho one.
The one on the peat moss will spend hours on end webbing in there, runs to its hide at the slightest noise and just likes to be goofy in general.
The only time I have seen the cork bark one web is when it was eating a cricket, it doesn't spaz out everytime you walk by it and it does not used it hide (that i've seen yet). Then again I've only had it for 2 days. But yes peat moss is on my list of to gets.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What you describe with the T on peat is how they would more normally act. Sorry but under the right conditions i barely see most of my Ts, they web up a lot, and hide, its what they do. Minimizing fall distance from the top of that terrarium is definately a must-do though, otherwise if that T falls its abdomen will quite likely rupture and thats not something fun to deal with, let me tell you from experience, most of the time they die from that. Just trying to help out... other than that you got quite a deal!
-Nate

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Penny is in a 2.5 gal KK, with the strate going up to just under the venting. She can stretch upwards if she wants, but there isn't enough wall to really climb. She's much happier there than when she was in the 10 gal tank.

Just food for thought. ;)