Another new scorp to the list! (H. JAYAKARI)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
How crucial is it to keep them at high temperatures? I see older posts where people say they need to be kept at high temps at all times? If so what's the best way to apply that much heat to a smaller plastic/Acrylic enclosure

@gromgrom ? @Red Eunice ?

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How crucial is it to keep them at high temperatures? I see older posts where people say they need to be kept at high temps at all times? If so what's the best way to apply that much heat to a smaller plastic/Acrylic enclosure

They will most likely thrive in regular temps but grow slower. I use an infrared heatlamp for my desert species

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Definitely has a water dish right now . I'm going to keep him under IR most of the time while he has 1 more molt left. I keep reading they need a hotter temperature to molt. Almost hotter than any other species temperature wise for growth

RTTB

Arachnoprince
My guess would be to emulate the daytime and nighttime temperatures from where they originate from. Or come close at least.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
yea i just need to go buy a decent enclosure that will hold that much heat without warping the plastic lol

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon

In my case, I built a heated cabinet for slings and scorpions requiring higher temps. This is an old photo, temp controller is different and I added afan for circulation. Invert room stays 72°-78°F year round, I've H. arizonensis that have molted successfully in these temps.

Silly to heat an entire room just to make my few desert species comfortable. Unless it becomes the majority of the collection. ;)

As far as crucial temps for Hottentotta, 74°F is the lowest I'd go, preferably the 78°-86°F range. JMO.

Heated cabinet.jpg

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
im going to take smaller cabinet I have and mount some ceramic heat bulbs inside and try and create somewhat of a controlled temp space. right now I have all my scorps under 1 50w IR bulb but as the collection is expanding I don't think its enough, and I cant stand the red light when sleeping, hopefully the ceramics work out

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i do jayakari on pure sand and keep them near the heat. They, like LQs, need it to molt successfully.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Thanks. In sand and Cocofiber mix atm. Just need a better enclosure. I don't think. A huge deli container will work with that much heat

Stugy

Arachnolord
Any care tips would help. Whipped up this temporary enclosure for him . Couldn't have got a better deal. Picked up. No shipping. My fav. Hottentotta

Sub adult
Please tell me the address of the store! xD I think I'd rather have to drive to LA than pay for shipping lmao

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Someone gave me a tip this guy had a couple. So I Pmd him. He had 4.... 3 males 1 female I asked him if he would part with 1 male he said he wasn't really selling but was willing to part with a male told him I'd meet him that same night lol took a 40 min drive at 9:30pm to snatch em up..... the guy was so cool he even offered to hold the female for me for the near future In case I wanted to breed

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I definitely intend to. It's available to me at anytime. I want to do my research on breeding them before I get into it . It's 1 of my top 3 favs. So I definitely would love to breed em here in California

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a pair. I keep them in the same enclosure with multiple hides on sand. Enclosure is kept hot and I offer a water dish. Every couple weeks I'll do a very light misting in the corner where the water dish is located.