Another hybrid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First of all, let me make clear that I do not intend to do anything like this, I just want to know the answer because of interest in genetics.

I know it's possible to mate different Avics, Brachy's etc. But I would like to know if it would be possible to mate an Avic with a Brachy, or an Avic with a Pokie.
Do all species of Tarantulas share the same genes? They are all Theraposids (or however you wright it:p) right? I breed ponies and I can mate any breed to my ponies and get fertile offspring. I can breed a Thouroughbred to my Welsh pony, eventhough they are a different breed.
I understand you can't mate a Heteropoda to a Tarantula, because they are a different families. But T's are all in the same family.

Let's not get into the fact that when mating a Pokie to an Avic, the Avic will likely get eaten, but is it genetically possible?

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It appears that certain species can mate with certain other species and produce viable offspring, but there are many species pairs for which this is not true.

Afaik all hybrids in the hobby have parents from the same genus as each other.

I would actually be quite interested from a scientific point of view to see a list of species pairs that are known to be able to breed and produce viable offspring. The ones you always hear about are Brachy species pairs and Avic species pairs.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Let's not get into the fact that when mating a Pokie to an Avic, the Avic will likely get eaten, but is it genetically possible?

That would be like mating a human with a baboon LOL

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually the ability of tarantulas to hybridize may exceed our current knowledge significantly but there's very little support for hybridization in the hobby (and who wants to risk all their males by introducing them to females of different species, especially when the reward is a tarantula that is much despised in the hobby?) so we may never know.

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would like to know if DNA patterns of different spiders have been documented. Would be very nice to see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie5

That would be like mating a human with a baboon LOL

That's not necessarely true I think. Baboons and humans have very different DNA, because they are further away from each other in the family tree. These two species have several evolutionairy steps between them.
Whether it is an Avic or a Pokie, they are from the same group, more so then humans and baboons.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say A Pokie and an Avic is pretty far away as well ;)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do all species of Tarantulas share the same genes? They are all Theraposids (or however you wright it:p) right? I breed ponies and I can mate any breed to my ponies and get fertile offspring. I can breed a Thouroughbred to my Welsh pony, eventhough they are a different breed
I hate it when people don't know what the heck "breed" and "species" even MEAN.

Look, your ponies? They're all the same species. All breeds of domestic dog are the same species. All races of human are the same species. Therefore all breeds of pony can have offspring together, all breeds of dog can have offspring together, and all races of human can have offspring together. A RCF G. rosea can have offspring with a normal morph G. rosea.

Hybrids generally happen between related *species* in the same genus. A Brachypelma vagans and a Brachypelma smithi, for instance. A liger is a cross between Panthera leo and Panthera tigris.

Cross-*genus* breeding (family Theraphosidae/genus Avicularia/species Versicolor and family Theraphosidae/genus Poecilotheria/species Regalis), is like trying to breed a human (family Hominidae, genus Homo, species Sapiens) with a chimpanzee (family Hominidae, genus Pan, species Troglodytes).

In short, you have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some cospecifics refuse to mate when from locations too far apart. (ex: Xenesthis)

There might be a possibility, but it is surely thiner as the species are apart. Let's see that you might have small chances to cross Avic with iridiopelma, but none at all with Hysterocates.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not this again. Use search and look for any of the other dozen or so hybrid threads. Power off.

Status
Not open for further replies.