Another Heterometrus sp. ID

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
IMG_1399.JPG IMG_1377.JPG

If anyone could ID what species of Heterometrus this is, it'd be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you try to get clear pictures of the carapace. Either H. petersii or H. laoticus but need clear pictures to be sure.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like Collin said, kind of hard to tell with the pic lighting but I do see some granulation there, probably petersii.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
IMG_1425.JPG

This is the best I can do for now, I'll try to get a better one when the guy comes out

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
IMG_1427.JPG

Here ya go... so what are the key characteristics of petersii (so I can hopefully ID them myself next time lol)?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Likely H.petersii or H.laoticus

Leaning towards the latter, but you'll have to check out Kovarik's "review of the genus heterometrus" key

BobBarley

Arachnoprince

Ran

Arachnoknight
Laoticus have no granulation...smooth. Not many Laoticus are being imported. Perersii are stockier with mild granulation are the most abundant in the trade lately. I have 2 female perersii wild caught that look just like yours....both came in gravid FYI.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Laoticus have no granulation...smooth. Not many Laoticus are being imported. Perersii are stockier with mild granulation are the most abundant in the trade lately. I have 2 female perersii wild caught that look just like yours....both came in gravid FYI.
Thank you, haha fingers crossed.
I discussed how to distinguish between the four common Heterometrus species in the hobby in this thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/looking-into-heterometrus-spp.291375/page-2#post-2595099
Thanks, for the link man. I'll take a closer look at my specimen once it comes out again. In the case of it being petersii (seems likely), how do I know if the male's tooth on the movable finger is "enlarged"? Is there a reference picture you could point me towards? Or perhaps someone has a picture of either a female or male movable finger tooth? Thanks!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you do a Google search you should see a few examples of it. Otherwise I can post some pictures from the most recent ID key tomorrow.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Looked at him tonight, and pleased to say with confidence that my scorp is a mature male Heterometrus petersii!