Another heating cable question.

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 4.5m heating cable (2m of the cable doesn't heat up) that I was planning on using to provide some heat to a couple of terrariums (tarantulas). Is it feasable to fasten the cable to a styrofoam backing board put at the back of the shelves or would that melt the styrofoam? I was planning on using wire bent double to fasten the cable to the backing. How much heat can I expect from the cable?

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Pretty hard to tell without any information, really. How many watts? I suggest you plug it in, and you will feel how warm/hot it gets.

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah sorry, it's a reptech cable of 25W/230volt. I'm thinking it can radiate a fair bit of heat.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
5.5 watts per meter isn't going to cook anything but I'd be concerned about the broken wire. Potentially a short circuit of the full load of the appliance that the fuse or circuit breaker permits. Say there's a 5 amp fuse: P=IxE = around 900 watts capable of being delivered before the fuse pops. Rule is never use a damaged electrical appliance anywhere near flammable materials if you have to use it at all.

Last edited:

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No broken wire as such, I have a spool of wire that I was planning on snipping into appropriate lengths and bending into U's that I was going to press into the styrofoam as staples holding the wire in place.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What does Reptech think? whatever you do, test it out first to make sure bad things dont happen.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
No broken wire as such, I have a spool of wire that I was planning on snipping into appropriate lengths and bending into U's that I was going to press into the styrofoam as staples holding the wire in place.
Styrofoam acts like a heat barrier, that way you can overheat the cable.

It's much better option a heat mat.

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Styrofoam acts like a heat barrier, that way you can overheat the cable.
You know, I was having second thoughts about using the cable in conjunction with the styrofoam. Heat mats it is then if needed. The cable should be quite handy for when I need to dry out overly moist substrate before using it.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
For drying substrate it will work fine, the cables are more suitable to reptiles that don't burrow. A T will dig directly to the cable and could die.

If you are going to use a heat mat, put it in one side, and use a thermostat to control the temperature. You have to choose the correct wattage for your enclosure and room temperature.

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hadn't planned on using it inside an enclosure, just as an external heat source for a number of smaller enclosures. Thanks for the tips.