another gravid Usambara!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I HAD pics to go along with this, but the CF card on my camera went bad, and I'll never be able to dl the photos I took of my really mad P murinus, as she was eating the male, and threatening me, all at the same time :)
the good news is, her abdomen is REALLY fat, and looks like we'll have another eggsac shortly!

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Happy Baby-Celebration-thingy.I might be interested in one once they get a to about about half an inch.Is it free or Money?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ben B.
Happy Baby-Celebration-thingy.I might be interested in one once they get a to about about half an inch.Is it free or Money?
I love this guy.

E

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have always wanted to see a tarantula eating another tarantula. Just not one of my own. If you ever see it again make sure your equipment is functioning cause that would be amazing.

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's how i talk in normal life,I say things like that when i don't know what to say like when i didn't know what one car was called I called it "That shiny one that has wheels"

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
this is the 3rd male I've seen being eaten, kinda gross, kinda cool actually! I've never been able to take pics, come to think of it.
Probably because the females have done their cannabalistic rituals late at night, while I'm sleeping ;)

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine are still shacked up together and mating every now and again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
well, I HAD pics to go along with this, but the CF card on my camera went bad, and I'll never be able to dl the photos I took of my really mad P murinus, as she was eating the male, and threatening me, all at the same time :)
the good news is, her abdomen is REALLY fat, and looks like we'll have another eggsac shortly!
Hey Holley,

Just a question.. I thought Usambara's didn't have an official scientific name yet? most people I see just refer to em as Pterinochulawhatzit sp. So, anyhow, has a name been settled on or?

Back to the topic at hand, congrats on your what, third one now?

Bill

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Bill,
as to the scientific name, good question. There are people calling them P murinus, and there are people calling them Pterinochilus sp. I was being lazy, since I myself *usually* do the latter.
Someone just revised Pterinochilus, if I remember correctly, and I *think* the 'Usambara' really was decided that it is a color morph, not a separate species..
However, I could be wrong, so someone else please jump in and correct me if I am!
This is my 3rd mating of this species, and this will be (hopefully) my 2nd eggsac.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There is a forthcoming paper which synonymises P. murinus with P. sp. Usambara. It's not 100% official, but it's 99% official at this point.

We'll still have those who argue there are differences, but at least as far as the taxonomists are concerned, they're the same species.

EDIT: OK, the paper's out, change that to 'it is 100% official'

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The papers already out, I believe. Published in a British journal a month or so ago. I forget which one, Volker Van Wirth had posted about it awhile back.

Usambara = P. murinus, AKA "Mombasa golden starburst" (AAS common name).

Because of the color difference, I doubt the name "Usamara" is going anywhere anytime soon, at least in the hobby.

Wade

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought a 'Pterinochilus mammilatus' last sunday. I've heard that name was also changed to the murinus (it looks very much like the usumbara). Has anyone got an answer to the exact name?
greetz,
Joost

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joost-

Yup, P. mammilatus is also a synonym for P. murinus, per Gallon's paper.

Wade

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Wade
I heard it yesterday from a dutch keeper too, the official name is Pterinochilus murinus 'red colour form' (or just RCF).
They seem to be really similar to the usumbara, if fact, I have yet to find a real difference. Anyone?
Greetz,
Joost

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If I remember correctly, "Usambara" was actually originally identified as P. mammilatus, which, in turn, was synonmized (is that a word?) with P. murinus.

In other words, they are the same spider. Anyoneone selling them as two different things is either misinformed or trying to pad out their species list a bit. It's been known to happen!

Wade