Another "dropped while molting" sad story

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I never said that. I said " I picked him up and got a small piece of adhesive tape. I taped one end to the plat leaf, and the other end to his 2 rear legs. I hung him up. " I think that is reasonably clear. I did neglect to tell you what the critter was, and I guess that could cause some confusion. Again, my profuse apologies.
You have to understand, I wrote the post immediately after it happened, while it was happening really, and I was kinda freaked out. So it was not up to my usual acedemic rigor :cool: !
You’re fine. Still shouldn’t use tape on your critters however.

toddw

Arachnopeon
Here, I put it in pictures so you can see:

Right after I taped him in a hanging position. Note, I just BARELY stuck the tape to his legs.
thumbnail (8).jpg

...now making some progress...

thumbnail (9).jpg
Now fat, dumb and happy, looking at me:
thumbnail (10).jpg

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Here, I put it in pictures so you can see:

Right after I taped him in a hanging position. Note, I just BARELY stuck the tape to his legs.
View attachment 375233

...now making some progress...

View attachment 375234
Now fat, dumb and happy, looking at me:
View attachment 375235
Its awesome it just danced right out of that. You have to admit how hilarious that image is of it taped to a leaf. If you tried to show that to my grandmother her head would melt like plastic on a bonfire.
Kudos to you for being innovative and thinking on your feet. I can't give you gold, but I would if I could.
Edit: But you need to holler at @mantisfan101 and build a more molt friendly enclosure.

toddw

Arachnopeon
You’re fine. Still shouldn’t use tape on your critters however.
Lucky for me the part that I taped was the old legs, not the new ones. I won't pretend I knew that when I did it though! I just figured it would die if I didn't do SOMETHING.

Its awesome it just danced right out of that. You have to admit how hilarious that image is of it taped to a leaf. If you tried to show that to my grandmother her head would melt like plastic on a bonfire.
Kudos to you for being innovative and thinking on your feet. I can't give you gold, but I would if I could.
Edit: But you need to holler at @mantisfan101 and build a more molt friendly enclosure.
Thanks, I will do so.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Why is his breathing though his mouth "art". I guess I' somehow don't understand the arachno-mindset around here!

FYI, he was not roaming around. I put him on this small 1 foot tall houseplant right next to my desk, as I said. He is just 2 feet to the side of me and isn't big enough to fly or anything. He rarely has moved more than a few inches. I'm just trying to get him out a bit. I feel bad that I did not spot the coming molt, although it is not always super obvious.

Sorry I did not mention that he was a mantis!
You managed to hit several "oh no" things condensed into one post, hence the comment.

1) When I say "roam", I mean the mantis was left to explore and you weren't watching. You need to have your full attention on him when he is outside of his enclosure.

2) He doesn't need exercise or fun experiences in the way you seem to be thinking. If you're busy, leave the mantis in his enclosure. He won't suffer, because he doesn't need to interact with you (or your houseplant).

3) Insects breathe through holes (spiracles) in their sides, not through their mouths. Mouthpart movements are not connected to breathing.

4) Given that you'd already injured this mantis, didn't notice signs that moulting was coming up, and then left him somewhere where he'd be likely to fall... there is going to be snark. Fortunately, it looks like he got out, so just chalk it up to a learning experience.

toddw

Arachnopeon
You managed to hit several "oh no" things condensed into one post, hence the comment.

1) When I say "roam", I mean the mantis was left to explore and you weren't watching. You need to have your full attention on him when he is outside of his enclosure.

2) He doesn't need exercise or fun experiences in the way you seem to be thinking. If you're busy, leave the mantis in his enclosure. He won't suffer, because he doesn't need to interact with you (or your houseplant).

3) Insects breathe through holes (spiracles) in their sides, not through their mouths. Mouthpart movements are not connected to breathing.

4) Given that you'd already injured this mantis, didn't notice signs that moulting was coming up, and then left him somewhere where he'd be likely to fall... there is going to be snark. Fortunately, it looks like he got out, so just chalk it up to a learning experience.
Thanks. You bring up one point though. When they are eating fruit flies,
Those don’t look to be very molt friendly enclosures.
I will look into improving the enclosures. Somebody mentioned a link.