Another "dropped while molting" sad story

toddw

Arachnopeon
Poor guy, I had already accidentally clipped off the very end of his femur a week or so ago. He had tried to get out of the plastic cup when I was trying to close it. Now today, he was sitting on a branch of a small green houseplant I have by my desk, just "hangin". I noticed that he was trying to maneuver around a bit but I didn't take much notice. Then I hear a soft "plop", and he fell around 6 inches to a hard surface. He was all bunched up, not moving other than breathing hard (I could see his mouthparts moving). I picked him up and got a small piece of adhesive tape. I taped one end to the plat leaf, and the other end to his 2 rear legs. I hung him up. He is there now. I'm not seeing a lot of movement, but a little. He definitely has come partially out of his "suit" since he first fell, as I can see the empty part at the top. Should he be moving a lot? I see that his new legs are out, and he is hangin only by his old legs. I don't see any major visible damage. What should I do? spray him? I'm not going to do anything more, unless someone tells me to. I did put a soft landing pad under him, with a couple of inches to spare so he can come all the way out and have a soft landing. I got some video w which I'll post if he survives!

interestingly, his litter mate molted a couple of day ago, so I guess I shuld have been expecting this. I guess I should try to keep a closer eye on him to see when he goes off his food and might be about to molt, then keep him in his jar instead of letting him out. I though I was doing him a favor to let him out, but I guess not. Sniff Sniff.... :-(

Update, he is definitely moving!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
This hands down has to be one of the most obvious trolls I’ve ever seen. Or you’re something special. Prepare to get ripped a new one if you’re being serious hahaha

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
This hands down has to be one of the most obvious trolls I’ve ever seen. Or you’re something special. Prepare to get ripped a new one if you’re being serious hahaha
Once I saw "adhesive tape" my record scratched the most it has ever scratched before.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
The whole bit about the mantis breathing through his mouth... this post is art in a way. Anyway, I hope the mantis survives, but you really shouldn't be letting them roam about your room.

toddw

Arachnopeon
I was excited to get on here and report that the mantis is doin' just fine now. It took around an hour and a half for him to shed. I guess he was not injured in the fall.

Now I'm puzzled though. Troll? <edit> are you talking about? And my "post history"? I'm just a newbie trying to get started. If I've done something wrong, please enlighten me. I just did the only thing I could think of to get him in the right position and minimize trauma. It worked. I have video to prove it. I thought people might be interested to know that it worked. It sounds like this is not a newbie friendly place.

Last edited by a moderator:

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Would be nice to know what kind of invert you're talking about here. My best guess is mantis?

Edit: I didn't realize there were other replies, I was still busy trying to figure out what was being taped to the plant. Don't mind me, I'm slow :smug:

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I think perhaps I will go elsewhere.
Don't leave, there are plenty of knowledgeable and qualified mantid keepers here who will be willing to help you. Not me, they're too high maintenance and sensitive for my taste, but I'm sure you know some of the names of the more experienced keepers. In the future though, it might be helpful if your title or opening line mentioned the animal you are talking about to avoid confusion. Glad your mantis is moving!

toddw

Arachnopeon
The whole bit about the mantis breathing through his mouth... this post is art in a way. Anyway, I hope the mantis survives, but you really shouldn't be letting them roam about your room.
Why is his breathing though his mouth "art". I guess I' somehow don't understand the arachno-mindset around here!

FYI, he was not roaming around. I put him on this small 1 foot tall houseplant right next to my desk, as I said. He is just 2 feet to the side of me and isn't big enough to fly or anything. He rarely has moved more than a few inches. I'm just trying to get him out a bit. I feel bad that I did not spot the coming molt, although it is not always super obvious.

Sorry I did not mention that he was a mantis!

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Holy cow.
I thought this was about a T.
I really gotta learn to pay attention to where things are posted.
Lmao.

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Why is his breathing though his mouth "art". I guess I' somehow don't understand the arachno-mindset around here!

FYI, he was not roaming around. I put him on this small 1 foot tall houseplant right next to my desk, as I said. He is just 2 feet to the side of me and isn't big enough to fly or anything. He rarely has moved more than a few inches. I'm just trying to get him out a bit. I feel bad that I did not spot the coming molt, although it is not always super obvious.

Sorry I did not mention that he was a mantis!
Don't for a second think you are gonna leave this place because you got flamed once for a naïve post. Every single dork here has has at least 2-3. Including the mods. Maybe, don't ban plz. This is a place for education and trading of anecdotes. We bounce ideas off each other and the old saying still holds true. 2 heads are better than 1. You gotta sack up when you are heading into the den of the beast. These dudes have literal decades of experience on all of us. That doesn't mean they haven't come across your certain issue. Build that thiccness. 1 post at a time.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I was excited to get on here and report that the mantis is doin' just fine now. It took around an hour and a half for him to shed. I guess he was not injured in the fall.

Now I'm puzzled though. Troll? <edit> are you talking about? And my "post history"? I'm just a newbie trying to get started. If I've done something wrong, please enlighten me. I just did the only thing I could think of to get him in the right position and minimize trauma. It worked. I have video to prove it. I thought people might be interested to know that it worked. It sounds like this is not a newbie friendly place.
You taped an insect back to a limb? Sorry, but when I read that I thought you were talking about a tarantula. I apologize but what I read was all over the place. Re-read what you wrote. Can’t blame me after reading that.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You taped an insect back to a limb? Sorry, but when I read that I thought you were talking about a tarantula. I apologize but what I read was all over the place. Re-read what you wrote. Can’t blame me after reading that.
Are you gonna sit there, and honestly tell me you have never duck taped a tarantula to a wall. Pfft. w/e

toddw

Arachnopeon
Don't for a second think you are gonna leave this place because you got flamed once for a naïve post. Every single dork here has has at least 2-3. Including the mods. Maybe, don't ban plz. This is a place for education and trading of anecdotes. We bounce ideas off each other and the old saying still holds true. 2 heads are better than 1. You gotta sack up when you are heading into the den of the beast. These dudes have literal decades of experience on all of us. That doesn't mean they haven't come across your certain issue. Build that thiccness. 1 post at a time.
I'm good, I've been around many forums before. I was just surprised to be accused of trolling (do you get a lot here?). I of course come here to be educated by people who know. So, again, if I did something wrong, for sure let me know. I'm sure I need to learn a lot.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I'm good, I've been around many forums before. I was just surprised to be accused of trolling (do you get a lot here?). I of course come here to be educated by people who know. So, again, if I did something wrong, for sure let me know. I'm sure I need to learn a lot.
Yes. People come here to troll.

toddw

Arachnopeon
I never said that. I said " I picked him up and got a small piece of adhesive tape. I taped one end to the plat leaf, and the other end to his 2 rear legs. I hung him up. " I think that is reasonably clear. I did neglect to tell you what the critter was, and I guess that could cause some confusion. Again, my profuse apologies.
You have to understand, I wrote the post immediately after it happened, while it was happening really, and I was kinda freaked out. So it was not up to my usual acedemic rigor :cool: !

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
If you are asking me seriously then as I have said many times before. Woe to your bank account when you start reading and collecting Orin McMonigle books. Perusing the net for articles is the cheapest get. But if you want to be a weirdo like me, then a McMonigle collection is your best bet.

toddw

Arachnopeon
If you are asking me seriously then as I have said many times before. Woe to your bank account when you start reading and collecting Orin McMonigle books. Perusing the net for articles is the cheapest get. But if you want to be a weirdo like me, then a McMonigle collection is your best bet.
I'll check into it.