Another desert hairy substrate moisture question

jake9134

Arachnosquire
I have read many threads related to this question but there some obscurity about how dry is dry enough. I have a 10 gallon with 35 lbs of "desert sand" from Lowes hardware moistened with a few cups of water then mixed it with a little bit of coco coir and 10lbs of excavator clay(dry) then I packed it by hand. Some people say to let it dry for 1-3 days and others say to let it dry completely. I have let it dry for 4 days now with a heat lamp on it and only the top half inch has actually become fully dry.

Is it ok for me to put him in now or should I wait until even the bottom of the substrate becomes dry?

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's pretty much the same type of custom substrate mix I've been using for 3 years. They key is not to pack it down too tight, or it will dry as hard as cement and your scorp will not be able to burrow... especially with the Excavator sand. I would wait another 5 days to let the tank dry out a bit more before placing your scorp in the tank. He'll be fine.

Jeff

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
Not sure what their recommended humidity is but there all over out here during summer 100+ degrees and like 10-20% humidity

dizzee

Arachnopeon
Ive used a 70/30 mix of sand to excavator. he burrowed to the bottom in a week the little bulldozer lol

that the ting im worried about is humiditiy, as it might be 20% at ground level of the burrow but 10ft down it might be 60% and deeper they go, the more humidity from moisture.

and i dnt many people know what humidity they moult at and because they have a full range at there fingertips its a quessing game for us lol