Another Coromus vittatus death..

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone, kinda sad post.
my 3rd out of 6 total C vittatus was found dead this morning (all deaths have happened a few months apart)

Now, i'm gutted about this, but i'm not going to make a sob story about it. Rather, i'd like to know what i've done wrong. Eversince i've had this colony (september 21st 2019), they've all been REALLY active constantly, breeding, crawling about, and so on..
I'm keeping them on a proper sub (forest hummus, calcium, deciduous leaves), good ventilation and right humidity, but every fee months, i simoly end up finding one starts to become very lathargic, and find that same individiual dead a few days later. No wounds, no scratches, fungus, infection, parasites whatsoever.

Could anybody give me some insight on what i've been doing wrong? The other 3 living millipedes seem to be absolutely fine aswell, for some reason.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Attachments

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Depending on the size of the specimens and where you got them from, it may be nothing you did; they are merely dying of old age, especially if they were WC originally.

However, C. vittatus is a polydesmid, so therefore they would need substantial amounts of rotting wood in order to survive and thrive according to my understanding. You only mention using forest humus and rotting leaves for food vegetation-wise.
I don't have any personal experience with this species however, so I wouldn't know if this is that one species that proves me wrong.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Depending on the size of the specimens and where you got them from, it may be nothing you did; they are merely dying of old age, especially if they were WC originally.

However, C. vittatus is a polydesmid, so therefore they would need substantial amounts of rotting wood in order to survive and thrive according to my understanding. You only mention using forest humus and rotting leaves for food vegetation-wise.
I don't have any personal experience with this species however, so I wouldn't know if this is that one species that proves me wrong.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts
They were WC, and i've been giving them rotting wood in abundance since day one, so you maybe right, they've died of old age

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I've never seen this species for sale in the US but I am not aware of anyone anywhere having any success with breeding or long-term care. If they were dying of old age they should also be laying eggs in quantity.