Another Brood

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My B.gigas has more babies for the 3rd time this year:clap::clap:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i love my jacksoni but i would trade them away in a second for some gigas!

I just wanna know why they keep at the 18-25$ each range. i once read that they frequently eat/abandon their young. Dont know how much truth there is to that

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i love my jacksoni but i would trade them away in a second for some gigas!

I just wanna know why they keep at the 18-25$ each range. i once read that they frequently eat/abandon their young. Dont know how much truth there is to that
Not that they eat the young the young cannibalize each other as adults they do well together.And they are rather rarer than jacksoni.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I remember the readings grom is referring to. I think it had to do with a few invert keepers having some problems and thinking "..if I have a hard time, everybody else will...", and so people/followers have "faith" in what these people say, most people believed it's hard to successfully get babies from B gigas to 2nd instar because of what a few said. This is a prob on the internet, it's good to question all claims imo, at least to some small degree ..not good to have blind faith in the claims imo.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well I have had very little problems with the pair I have. As I said this is the 3rd brood this year.I take the male out as soon as I'm sure she is gravid and separate the scorplings at 2nd instar.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This represents my point exactly, it's my view anyway. Just because a few "experienced" people had a hard time only might mean they missed something, and possibly something simple, maybe another person was successful unknowingly because of some simple factor they had going at the time. It reminds me of an old fiction movie I saw. In outer-space a lone man was experimenting with life in space and saw Earth blown up by man. Robots were his companions and they started "thinking", reasoning. He spent days trying to figure out why the plants were not healthy. ...only to realize after hours of study that they weren't getting enough light. I'd like to see that movie again, saw it back in the 80's or maybe the 70's.

I remember something else about that movie, there were two robots and they were playing poker with the human for the human's entertainment. But the human noticed that the robots had been working together to cheat against the human! Dang, what was that movie?

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of course blind faith is rubbish and I can only speak of my own experience and that is that they eat broods frequently and are easily disturbed. This might have nothing to do with their price. Like pressurecooker says, they are somewhat more rare.
Remarks like "I don't know how much truth there is in that" sound fairly ignorant to me. Especially when that person says he or she never kept the species. :confused: :D

It is only logical that because of the experiences of a few, all people would have the same problem. Of course this is not true. People, can do what they want with advise of course. I can only speak for myself, but personally I don't mind that much what people do with my advice. Your scorpions are not mine, so why should I care?

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Of course blind faith is rubbish and I can only speak of my own experience and that is that they eat broods frequently and are easily disturbed. This might have nothing to do with their price. Like pressurecooker says, they are somewhat more rare.

It is only logical that because of the experiences of a few, all people would have the same problem. Of course this is not true.
After mom has them on her back I only move her when I have to (feed her 1crix every week). Then leave her alone!!! My pair may be the exception but I do well at breeding. Mainly I do T's but have good luck with most of my scorpions. With the exception of Hadrurus arizonensis (she eats them every time):wall:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's the thing to do with this species when they just had young, leave it as much alone as possible. Have fun raising them, after they molted, their survival chances seem to increase.