Another Ball python question...?

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Ok, I know they refuse to eat sometimes, and no one knows why......mine refused this week. Friday is feeding day:)
I looked in on her today and saw that she has shed.
I'm not sure exactly when it happened, because the snake is
in my daughters room. I hardly ever go in there, just on feeding
day really. My daughter does the daily check and puts in new water.
So, here are the questions:
How long should I wait to offer food?
And
Is it safe to handle her any time soon?
I would like to look at her and make sure her eyes shed properly.
I do not want to have a blind pet, or the chance of infection, or
any other wierd thing happen to her. I guess I'm just overly
concerned because this is our first snake.

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whenever I have a snake that refuses food, I usually just wait until the next "scheduled" feeding day to offer again.

You can check out your snake immediately after shed. Check eyecaps, and tail tip. Two main areas that retain skin that can become a problem if left. One would hope it all comes off in one piece so you don't really have to worry.

Rav

foreverbug

Arachnopeon
Congrats! I have two of my own. When it comes to waiting, I have never heard of a time limit on waiting to feed or handling after a shed. I always pick mine up after they shed to check them, and admire how pretty they look.:D If they don't eat, I just try again later on, sometimes the next feeding day. I have never had a problem handling them. But make sure you do not handle them after they eat. I usually wait a couple of days. They can regurgitate it. (yuck)
You are not being overly concerned. I was the same way when I got mine!
bug

Last edited:

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah they get hunfry after a shed. ours hasnt been able to shed the old scales off her top. probably a space issue but that is being worked on. We got a big tank, 75 gallon i think, and a stand and cover and lights for 50 bucks at a garage sale. good tank, no cracks, but the lid needs escape proofing. her current set up is rather small for a 4 foot long snake. back on track now. any tips for removing those top scales? her head sides, and tail are all clean, just a few inches behinf the head almost to the end of here tail is covered in old scales.

biznacho

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I looked at her this morning, everything looks good.
Thanks for the replies:)