another ATS Conference thread...

Are you going to the ATS Conference in Carlsbad this June?

• Yes, of course! Wouldn't miss it for the world?

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Ewww no! Bugs are gross.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I WISH

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Who is going? Where are you staying?

For those of you who have gone before, approximately how much did you spend total?

Where is the airport nearest to the conference? What is the best driving route from the East Coast to New Mexico?

kellygirl

Edit: Well, there isn't supposed to be a question mark in the first option, but you get the picture!

Last edited:

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We're definitely going. Had a blast last year. I would recommend staying at the Quality Inn on National Parks Hwy--that's where all the action is, and probably where we will set up shop (e-spiderworld, that is).

As far as money...Carlsbad is not a very expensive place to stay. Most of your money will go towards Ts, so plan accordingly :) Not sure what the best driving route is from the east coast, but I believe the nearest airport is El Paso (not too far away, just southwest of the NM border).

Hope to see you there!

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really want to go, but I'm not sure how I'm going to afford it. El Paso, TX seems to be the closest airport and I found roundtrip airline tickets for just under $300 when I was searching (dreaming).

Keeping my fingers crossed because I have a growing list of people from this forum that I want to meet.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GOSH DARNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just looked at my calendar and I will be in Colorado from June 8-15, which totally overlaps the conference (June 12-14, right?). :( I wish there were a crying face option because I would use it now..... I'll be so close yet so far! :(

kellygirl

P.S. I guess I change my answer to "I WISH"

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
You'll be in Colorado?...Doing what?...Well..you'd be able...assuming you have time...to check out Gary's and my collections should you be interested.

John
];')

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
safetypinup--this is totally unrelated to the thread (i think we are allowed a maximum of 4 "totally unrelated to the thread" posts before scott hoses us with a firehose while shdave and mista internet flash 1 million candlelight power hi-beams in our eyes, but that's totally unrelated to what my unrelated post has to relate to), but are those your hands in your avatar? if so, you are my idol. along with joy, that is!

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
You'll be in Colorado?...Doing what?...Well..you'd be able...assuming you have time...to check out Gary's and my collections should you be interested.

John
];')

I TOTALLY wish I could... but I will be at Frontier Ranch (it's a Young Life camp, ever heard of it?) in Buena Vista the entire time with no free time or transportation out of the camp beyond the buses to and from the airport. Argh! Another missed chance at meeting an Arachno-person. :( But I am extremely flattered that you would open your home to me like that, John. Really.

kellygirl

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Well its always fun to show someone your closet full of bugs who can appreciate it without getting a "gross" look on their face or a "what do you do with them" question. Or the standard "Aren't you arfraid they'll bite you" question.

John
];')

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Oops. Forgot this in last post...I have been through Buena Vista on several occasions...the Arkansas river runs right by it...good white water rafting from what I hear...Its a nice valley area between the mountains. You'll like it.

John
];')

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
safetypinup--this is totally unrelated to the thread (i think we are allowed a maximum of 4 "totally unrelated to the thread" posts before scott hoses us with a firehose while shdave and mista internet flash 1 million candlelight power hi-beams in our eyes, but that's totally unrelated to what my unrelated post has to relate to), but are those your hands in your avatar? if so, you are my idol. along with joy, that is!

lol, yes, those are my hands. Technically, I am not supposed to recommend that anyone handle any T, especially an Usumbara...But...Off the record...She was a sweetheart :p

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well its always fun to show someone your closet full of bugs who can appreciate it without getting a "gross" look on their face or a "what do you do with them" question. Or the standard "Aren't you arfraid they'll bite you" question.
Yeah... I bet it would be nice if I could actually find someone like that. I have succeeded, however, in getting my boyfriend to the point of acceptance that he will take me to the Expo in Raleigh this May... he has even said that he might consider getting a tarantula of his own one day.... And it's all because he got to spend a month with them in his apartment after I came home for the winter break and my mother said "you may absolutely not bring 50 spiders into my house." He didn't actually care for them beyond misting when I was unable to come by... but I caught him watching them a few times. ;)

But still... not everyone on this forum would invite me over...

I have been through Buena Vista on several occasions...the Arkansas river runs right by it...good white water rafting from what I hear...Its a nice valley area between the mountains. You'll like it.
I've been there once before--went last summer when there was that drought/fire issue going on. We had to be extra careful about our water usage. It was, nevertheless, a beautiful place! The weather was wonderful to us and the mountains are just magnificent!

But you didn't say whether you had heard of Frontier Ranch. Actually, I will not be able to go rafting. Unfortunately, a few years back, a Young Life leader died on those rapids when she fell out of the raft. I don't know any more about it than that as I was not involved in Young Life when it happened. I do know, however, that Young Life doesn't take the kids rafting anymore... understandably.

kellygirl

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

i would really love to go! i am still deciding, my parents say: "go all the way to NM for TARANTULAS!" you know how it is...
i am 13 and they dont want me meeting people that i met on the internet, that really sucks who knows i may go~! i also may have school between that time! Anyhoo i still hope i can go!

James

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
No I have not heard of Frontier Ranch...Heard of Young Life but I'm not sure where. As for your boyfriend...at least you are working on him and teaching him not to be a spider hater.

John
];')

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I want to go so bad, but i dont have a credit card to rent a car. I live in new york and would have to fly there then rent a car from el paso. Dose anybody know a way to get there by public transportation? I cant rent a car cuase they need a credit card. every year when i read about it im sorry i wasnt there.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
(it's a Young Life camp, ever heard of it?)

kellygirl
I have. My company prints all Young Life's apparel. Several of the orders are printed by me personally. Dang, small world, huh?

Oh yeah, my bug room is open to any and all fellow bug nerds. :)

Atrax

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
I have. My company prints all Young Life's apparel. Several of the orders are printed by me personally. Dang, small world, huh?
WEIRD--I probably have a shirt that your company printed... sure is a small world! :)

Originally posted by Atrax
Oh yeah, my bug room is open to any and all fellow bug nerds. :)
Even me? :rolleyes:

kellygirl

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Im too poor to travel. :( Except to Vancouver Island, Im going there for 2 days in March. How ya like that Krystal ? No mutant oysters this time. Just friends and eating out !! :D And a big boat.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
OH YEAH!

oh yes, we are definately going again, last year was a total blast!
We flew into El Paso, and NO, there is NO public transportation unfortunately. It's 31/2 hours of hot dry BORING driving. I think we are flying into Albuquerque this time, but it depends on ticket prices. Hotel room at Quality Inn last time was only $50 per night with a room with 2 queen beds.
We will stay there again, since it's where the gatherings and whatnot are. They also have a decent pool and restaurant.
I think we spent around $1200 total last year, for 2 plane tickets, car, hotel, food, and buying inverts.
That was for 4 days total. The plane tickets were of course more than half that cost.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
WEIRD--I probably have a shirt that your company printed... sure is a small world! :)

Even me? :rolleyes:

kellygirl
Of course! If you get out of line, my bugs get very protective of the hand that feeds them. All I have to do is snap and they shred like cartoon termites! ;P
Just kidding. Like I said...any and all. :)

On a side note...since I forgot to say before...hell yes I'm going this year! And speaking of shirts, I'm currently taking with Shasta East (PR officer of the ATS) about doing their T-shirts this year too.

Atrax

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Count me in..I'll definitely be there...:)
Peace,
Gillian