Another adventurous Petco... adventure

najig21

Arachnopeon
So I'm walking through Petco today (I'm not sure of PEtco is a bunch of idiots where you all live, but they're IDIOTS here in California.) So I go in to see what kind of damage they've done today to their reptiles and arachnids. First of all, there's some lady in there who's freaking out about her 3 year old son getting too close to the Grammastola rosea cage. But I notice that this spider happens to be eating something rather large, so I get a closer look... sure enough, it's eating a smaller Grammastola cala that they put in the same cage with it. There was an Aphonopelma seemanni in there, too. So I go to tell the manager top move that one into the other cage, and she gets all mad because one of her employees ordered too many tarantulas. Well, she won't put it in the other cage, because they've got an order of garter snakes to out in there. Well they already have a garter snake. (Tell me, so far, are the Petco's around you this bad?) So I go to another tarantula cage, unlabeled. There's a Brachypelma smithi in there. So I ask her what it is (I already know) and she tells me it's a Chilean Rose Hair. Yes!!! So I bought a Brachypelma smithi (2 inches) for $17! I don't know about you, but everywhere I look, they're between $70 and $150. My lucky day, although there was the dead spider.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Which Petco was this? So there's still two tarantulas cohabitating? Only a matter of time until one kills the other, really. You should have insisted on them segregating them.

Argh, don't get me started with them. Evil = Petco

bill

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The petco where I live (Oregon) is fairly hip to thier arachnids.... I already tried getting the "Scream Deal" on the smithi... didn't work....

najig21

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Arachniphile
The petco where I live (Oregon) is fairly hip to thier arachnids.... I already tried getting the "Scream Deal" on the smithi... didn't work....
If you live in Bend, OR, I bought my ball python there. They are the only Petco I have ever seen that slightly knows what they are doing.

najig21

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by invertepet
Which Petco was this? So there's still two tarantulas cohabitating? Only a matter of time until one kills the other, really. You should have insisted on them segregating them.

Argh, don't get me started with them. Evil = Petco

bill
You're right man. I should have bought the Smithi and told them to put the Seemanni in that cage. Or insisted upon a seperate cage anyway. A lot of garter snakes can be housed in one cage, I don't know why they needed two cages for 6 garter snakes. Anywho, something stupid like this happens weekly when I go to buy crickets from them. (They took 20 minutes to get me 40 crickets. How ridiculous is that?) You'd think with bad publicity they would have better service. Noooo.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, but I fixed the Petco in Beaverton OR. First of all, there were two A versicolors with NOTHING in their petpals...food, substrate...water..nothing. So, I bought them for $10 apiece..then went home, and got on Petco's website. I sent them a very not nice letter about the terrible care they give their arachnids.
Next day, I got a call from both the DISTRICT manager, and the store manager!
They have cleaned up their act considerably, the sponges they still insist on though. And the other day, there was a dead 'Kilamanjaro baboon' (have no clue what the scientific name is) that I pointed out to them. It had just arrived the day before, and looked like it must have been too stressed from shipping, as the cage conditions were fine.
They hate to see me walk in their store, I'm like the arachnid cop!