Another acrylic box option for arboreals

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
I've seen a lot of awesome ideas and suggestions here for making arboreal enclosures so I thought I'd pitch in.

I found this 5x5x13" (12.7x12.7x33cm) acrylic display at Michael's. List price $14.99 but display boxes are always 50% off there so I got it for under $8. Haven't seen anyone else post this brand yet (or maybe I just missed it).
image.jpeg

The lid is in the front and has a narrow lip so it isn't very visible.
image.jpeg

I'm going to drill some vent holes and cut the lid to make a door.

Has anyone tried this brand before?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Nice sized enclosure, at a good price too. I prefer front opening doors, as in Avics, have the tendency to bolt upward. Plus easier to do maintenance with a front door. Could easily modify by adding a pair of hinges and a latch.
Post a pic when completed.
I like Michael's, have great selection of plastic foliage for enclosures. Especially when they have 'em on sale.

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
I use something similar with a very flush top lid - only since they are arboreal, I use minimal substrate on the thin lid as a bottom and hot glue the decor to the top (actually I hot glue magnets to decor and use magnets on the exterior to hold them up) :p

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
I just remembered I had made this thread many many months ago. Here is the resulting enclosure without the front door attached.

33CCBD0A-AB58-4B64-88C1-F7C27C8E25F0.jpg

The top and bottom sections of the lid were super glued along the narrow lip. Decor was hot glued in.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I just remembered I had made this thread many many months ago. Here is the resulting enclosure without the front door attached.

View attachment 242252

The top and bottom sections of the lid were super glued along the narrow lip. Decor was hot glued in.
I really like the aesthetic of that enclosure (and the area)
I wish there were still a Michael's in my area, but maybe Hobby Lobby has a container similar to that.
What did you end up putting in there?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I wish there were still a Michael's in my area, but maybe Hobby Lobby has a container similar to that.
Hobby Lobby have some great sizes for arboreal set - ups, I will never buy an exo - terra enclosure or any store bought enclosures, as you can make them so much better yourself, (Unless they're dirt cheap)I'm in the U.K. so we don't have a Hobby Lobby or Michael's. A really lovely home made enclosure on this thread very nice indeed. I'll have to get my DIY head on and get to work on an enclosure.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Thanks! One of the reasons this particular box caught my eye was the clean 90 degree corners, which I prefer over the chamfered edges that a lot of other display boxes have.

Currently there's a ~3" P. regalis in there :)

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Il est bon!

How do you attach the front door?

Last edited:

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
How do you attach the front door?
I wanted the door to be able to hinge on any of the four sides so I could open it in any direction. However, I ran out of time to implement my idea before I was gifted the P. regalis so it is currently held in place on all four sides by tape. To validate the tape, though, I did a rough pull force test with the tape first.

I'll do a second update after I implement the hinges properly haha.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
What did you use to make the ventilation holes?
The holes on the side were drilled. The holes on the front lid were laser cut along with the horizontal lines that split the lid into three pieces. However, the drilled holes look a lot better because the laser cutter left some of the surrounding plastic a little burnt. If I had been more diligent, I should have masking taped over those areas before laser cutting to protect it. Lesson learned :/

aphono

Arachnobaron
Wow very nice! I look forward to update with hinges. What did you use to cut the lid?

Currently have just a C. versicolor sling. It's gonna grow.. and look good in something like that. :happy:

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wanted the door to be able to hinge on any of the four sides so I could open it in any direction. However, I ran out of time to implement my idea before I was gifted the P. regalis so it is currently held in place on all four sides by tape. To validate the tape, though, I did a rough pull force test with the tape first.

I'll do a second update after I implement the hinges properly haha.
Ha, no worries! I had a couple of makeshift moments like that.

It's all very swanky anyway. I'm impressed by the neatness of the cutting, but on (very) close inspection I can see what you mean about the laser burns. (The whitish haze?) I've thought a laser cutter would by convenient for different DIY jobs - do you have one, or did you call on someone else's services?

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Wow very nice! I look forward to update with hinges. What did you use to cut the lid?

Currently have just a C. versicolor sling. It's gonna grow.. and look good in something like that. :happy:
The lid was laser cut, out of both laziness and curiosity about how well it would work. If I had to do it again, though, I would use some other cutting method that doesn't leave smudgy burnt edges.

aphono

Arachnobaron
The lid was laser cut, out of both laziness and curiosity about how well it would work. If I had to do it again, though, I would use some other cutting method that doesn't leave smudgy burnt edges.
Totally get that. Tried soldering iron on a hobby lobby box, hated it for similar reason. Too obvious 'donuts'... ugly and reduced visibility. Never used it again.

Haven't made cuts yet. Not really looking forward to that due to having zero handy-skills. Maybe that's why I have only one arboreal so far... ha!

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Ha, no worries! I had a couple of makeshift moments like that.

It's all very swanky anyway. I'm impressed by the neatness of the cutting, but on (very) close inspection I can see what you mean about the laser burns. (The whitish haze?) I've thought a laser cutter would by convenient for different DIY jobs - do you have one, or did you call on someone else's services?
I have access to a laser cutter and some machine shop equipment. In general, I find laser cutters to be extremely useful for DIY projects. However, this one was simple enough that I really didn't need to use one.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Totally get that. Tried soldering iron on a hobby lobby box, hated it for similar reason. Too obvious 'donuts'... ugly and reduced visibility. Never used it again.

Haven't made cuts yet. Not really looking forward to that due to having zero handy-skills. Maybe that's why I have only one arboreal so far... ha!
Haha time to invest in a power drill? I haven't cracked any plastic enclosures yet doing so. I'll probably use a bandsaw for the next cuts I need to make.

Hahaha, same. I mostly have terrestrials. Not a fan of wall poop that you can't easily reach to clean off :rofl: