Anole Shmnole

What do you think of Anoles as feeders?

• I've tried them, and had no problems.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I have never tried anoles as feeders, but have considered it.

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • I think they may be a little too dangerous to use.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • What's an anole?

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone,
Just thought I'd try out a poll, for a little fun. What's the word on anole feeding? I've been a little curious about this lately. Do you guys think they are acceptable feeders, or do you think that they may be a little too fast (cause they are fast)/aggressive to use as feeders. Come on now, everyone contribute. This'll be fun.
Paul

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've never tried them, but that's more because it would never occur to me spend $4 or more on a meal for a tarantula. When I lived in Florida I should have given it a try. I did feed anoles to my emperors and my horned frog but it never occurred to me use them as T food before these boards.

I will say that even if they were free again, I'd be hesitant - their jaws aren't overly strong, but they could still easily crush a T leg or palp if they got the turn around. If I'm going to feed vertebrate prey, I'll personally probably never venture from pinkies/hoppers with Ts.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have considered it, but only as far as a photo op is concerned. They are too much $$ for me to pay, and too darn cute as well! I might do it when either my A genic, or my L para is full grown though...just once

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, I always post replies to my own threads. Bad habit.
CM, What are hoppers? If I'd guess i would say it's slang for crickets, but since you were referring to verts, i highly doubt that my assumption's on.
These horned toads sound pretty crazy. I've read about feeders for them just from this site, and i never imagined a toad could eat a vert of any sort. how big are they? what else can you feed them?
i'd be willing to fork out the dough for the anole feeding just to watch it, but i'd be nervous for Peso's sake. Where can you get an anole for $4??? Cheapest you're looking at here is 20 bones from a pet store. Of course.....I do live in Canada...
Paul

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In my opinion, I think vertebrate prey (Anolis and pinkie mice) is good for a varied diet. For me, I do feed my tarantulas these food items very occasionally. Usually once a year, sometimes twice. I think insects and other arthropods make up a high majority of their diet in natural conditions. There's so much more bugs out there to encounter, than small lizards and baby rodents.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
Cheapest you're looking at here is 20 bones from a pet store. Of course.....I do live in Canada...
Paul
Yeah, that prices sucks... At our local pet store they're like $5 and some change. Too much for a vertebrate feeder. I'll stick with crix/roaches/mice.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
The main problem I have feeding anoles is my daughter, who has appointed herself Anole Advocate in our household. The first two I bought as feeders she rescued, named Lunch and Dinner, and adopted as pets. Confidentially, I still use anoles as feeders now and then, but I smuggle them into the house when she's at school and hope they'll be an unrecognizable bolus by the time she gets home. I understand and sympathize with her position, as they are cute and appealing little creatures, but now and then there's a situation where using them as feeders seems called for--an arboreal who's been off his or her feed, for instance.

Joy

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also enjoy Anoles. I have nothing against them personally; they're not like the crickets (whom i despise). My friend had two Anoles, and I loved them. I would even like to keep them sometime, but I think it would be far cooler and worthwhile to buy one and feed it to Peso. Cool as the lizards are, I like my spider more :)
They are costly, but I would be willing to pay that much for an Anole feeder once every 3 months or so.

The first two I bought as feeders she rescued, named Lunch and Dinner, and adopted as pets.
Joy,
Your daughter is very cute, not to mention clever.

Cheers,
The Rookie

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
What are hoppers?
Hoppers is when baby mice are just starting to open their eyes. Still too small and uncoordinated to really offer a threat to anything and move quickly by "hopping".

These horned toads sound pretty crazy. I've read about feeders for them just from this site, and i never imagined a toad could eat a vert of any sort. how big are they? what else can you feed them?
They're Argentinian Horned Frogs, Ceratophrys ornata. They get about 6" or so across and are basically a mouth with legs. They eat ANYTHING they can swallow, this included bottlecaps and dice as we found out. I wound up killing mine by feeding it three large mice in one session and they began to decay inside the beast, he bloated all up and "croaked" :)

A lot of people like them, I personally found it to be the most boring pet I've ever owned because I swear my shoes have a higher IQ.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Eh, I guess the hopper thing varies from place to place. Here, hoppers are basically small mice. One step up from a fuzzy, and very capable of biting..

Fuzzies come eyes open or closed...The typical size, just barely having hair. I almost got sucked into the keeping a feeder as a pet thing when I got the dumb idea to give it a grape. Kinda cute watching it lick the juice up =p

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When the guy at the local exotic petstore found out that I wanted to feed anoles to my spiders he just gave me one. A few days later my juvenile Salmon pink birdeater destroyed it. i am sure you all have seen the pics. The lizard didnt put up a fuss it just died and was devoured overnight and left a little ball of goo and a tail left over. It was good for my spider. I will do it again. In fact there is a canary baby that the guy wants to give me now to feed her once she molts.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been using them for a couple years for my large Scolopendra as well as my T's My arboreal T species especially seem to enjoy them. Talk about an awesome hunt too!. I've never had a single problem with using them. I also get them here for 1.75 a piece.

Atrax

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cnadian imports

When the guy at the local exotic petstore found out that I wanted to feed anoles to my spiders he just gave me one.
Jacen,
How much would you have to have paid for that anole if he wasn't free? I wish there was an exotic petstore around here. That was really cool of the guy to give you a feeder for nothin'.
Paul

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The reason he gives them for free is because they are 5 bucks as pets and because we have developed a good friendship over time. I support his store a lot and I have brought a lot of new customers into his place and so he appreciates the business and we have a good relationship. He diesnt give them to me often but when I ask it tends to happen.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey

Anoles are a good meal, Id get them if I could spend more on food.

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
lllreptile.com has feeder anoles and geckos for....
$2.75 ea
10 for $25
20 for $39

check out the pricelist for more info. i'd imagine most of my animals could handle them.
i have fed them most everything else...including some feeder goldfish i got for another pet. it's wild seeing a T eating goldfish. some folks had good feedback on that, though: there's a possibility of the feeders having high levels of toxins due to the close quarters they're kept in and the diseases they have to be treated for...just a thought. i've only done it once and all bugs are still alive.