Anole breeding

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to raise / breed anoles for my tarantulas. since i know breeding these to get a good number of them is going to take forever they won't be the main food souce so I have time. Until I get a good # of these (if I even decide to do it) I'll be feeding them crickets and roaches...so I need to know a few things. any other informaton that isn't asked for below in my quesions that I need to know yall can add it when you respond and it would greatly be appreciated. thanks.:

The males have the red necks on their flap right?

You can keep one male to three females right?

How many can I keep in a 55 gallon tank?

How long does it take for them to lay eggs and for eggs to hatch?

Will they take care of their own eggs or will I have to buy an incubator?

How long does a female stay pregnant for?

Do I need to stimulate breeding season or will they do this on their own?

Anoles need calcium dusted crickets correct?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Anoles are expensive to actually house and care for. They need full UVA/B whatever it is lighting, too. I think you need at least ten gallons per anole, and you have to find mega-tiny prey for the babies and give them their own enclosure or the adults will eat them.

Really, I don't think this is a good idea. Besides the ongoing controversy over whether tarantulas are harmed by a vertebrate-heavy diet...I used to live in Florida, where anoles were EVERYWHERE, and I used to go catch them for fun. These guys can BITE. And once they get a good grip, they don't always like to let go. I wouldn't put one in with a tarantula, I'd consider them *almost* as dangerous as a grown mouse if there were a feeding accident/the T wasn't hungry enough/something went wrong. (Maybe more likely to have the T lose a limb or two than get killed, granted.) Sure it might *not* happen, but eh. I just wouldn't do it myself, is all I'm saying.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anoles are expensive to actually house and care for. They need full UVA/B whatever it is lighting, too. I think you need at least ten gallons per anole, and you have to find mega-tiny prey for the babies and give them their own enclosure or the adults will eat them.

Really, I don't think this is a good idea. Besides the ongoing controversy over whether tarantulas are harmed by a vertebrate-heavy diet...I used to live in Florida, where anoles were EVERYWHERE, and I used to go catch them for fun. These guys can BITE. And once they get a good grip, they don't always like to let go. I wouldn't put one in with a tarantula, I'd consider them *almost* as dangerous as a grown mouse if there were a feeding accident/the T wasn't hungry enough/something went wrong. (Maybe more likely to have the T lose a limb or two than get killed, granted.) Sure it might *not* happen, but eh. I just wouldn't do it myself, is all I'm saying.
Thanks for all this. I am actually just trying to get thoughts on if I should actually go through with this or not. mroe than likely i won't but I'm glad I asked rather than just go through with it AFTER i spent the money and all that on the supplies/animals

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, if you want something good to breed and feed, you should probably stick with the roaches. Much cheaper, and I hear good things about some species, especially compared to crickets in the stink/mess/random deaths department. :)

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When my anoles had unexpected babies last summer, I did nothing but keep ideal conditions in the tank. No removal of eggs for incubation, or anything.

The little anoles just appeared, when noticed they were removed from main tank, and kept in a smaller tank. Feeding was difficult as they required pinheads, and lots of them. (about 2 or 3 each per day x 7 anoles)

I had considered using them as feeders for my "T's",..............but couldn't do it, they were just to cute. lol

I found the little guys (as cute as they were) required more attention than they were worth, (food, UVB/UVA lighting, time) and traded them for crickets.

Maybe I'll find more this summer.