Anole Attack!!!!!

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a just a warning based on my personal experiance.

I posted on this once before but I wanted to make sure that everybody knows so that maybe I can help avoid this happening to someone else.

I decided to feed an Anole lizard to me G. rosea. She is a good size female and from what I had read should have had no problem with an anole.

The Anole attacked her and ripped one of her legs off. She bit him and he later died. She has since molted and got her leg back but like I said, this is a warning for anybody who decides to try Anole lizards for there T. Especially if it's a docile or smaller breed.

Take it or leave it. :)

-Charlie

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's exactly the sort of example that supports why I posted in the recent poll on anoles as feeders why I wouldn't use them. They are definitely quite capable of crushing even the largest T. blondi's leg if they get the first bite in - sure the T will win in the end 99.5% of the time, I just don't consider the risk of battle scars to be worth it when crickets, roaches, and pinkies are plenty nutritious.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree. I think the spiders tamperment has to be taken into account. If the spider is docile and slow like a G Rosea it probably isnt a good idea. I will still use anoles but only with my fast and mean species like my L Parahybana and my Usumbara.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a friend up here in the sticks that takes his anoles and takes a needle and thread and with one loop at the tip of the anoles mouth sews it shut. So no battles occure that the t cant handle.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that is very very incredibly cruel. Atleast as spider food it dies quickly and isnt tortured.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm gonna have to agree. That is a bit much. The only vertebates I feed out are small mice, rat pups or 1-2" house geckos. I've never ran into problems using these as feeders.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
I have a friend up here in the sticks that takes his anoles and takes a needle and thread and with one loop at the tip of the anoles mouth sews it shut. So no battles occure that the t cant handle.
Well, one can't argue that this isn't effective. I'm not sure that I personally would ever be comfortable doing this to a lizard first, but, I don't really believe it's any more cruel than feeding it alive in the first place.

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to agree that that is a little cruel for me. I would not do that. It would seem like too much trouble anyway. I mean if the anole was some kind of a superfood maybe, but crickets and pinkies are just as good so why go through all the hassle anyway?

-Charlie

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anoles

I was considering Anoles actually, this makes me think twice.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Vertebrate Feeders

Small house geckos work much better than anoles as they are smaller, more fragile, and pretty much harmless. They are easily and quickly killed by any large arachnid. I have used them on many occasions without any problems at all.

Alex S.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can get them at most pet stores. If they don't carry them they can probably oder them for you. The most common house gecko's genus is Hemidactylus They're usually two to four bucks.

Tupac Shakur

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That sewing their mouths shut thing..eww, I don't like going Mengele on food-prey before they turn spider-pray..that existed a bit when I was little, as in all people, but it was hollow, and it certainly is not there anymore, and as far as pets needing animal prey, I'll keep it away for as long as I can