Anisomorpha buprestoides

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
His mate died in a molt, step 1 is denial

Anyone know what the purpose of the "extra set of eyes" is(that's what they look like to me, anyway) behind the actual eyes?

Doin' what they do

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those "extra pair of eyes" are where their defensive spray comes out, they are pretty accurate with it mind ;)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thank you, sir...for some reason I was thinking the glands were on the other end. I'm very careful with these...the effects of the defense, I hear, are very unpleasant.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i was reading about these in the book "For Love of Insects" and among other things it says they have a range of 30-40cm with their spray. i remember some of the components are fairly impressive, too

pretty neat bugs, beyond that

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
i was reading about these in the book "For Love of Insects" and among other things it says they have a range of 30-40cm with their spray. i remember some of the components are fairly impressive, too

Thanks for the hot tip...there's a copy of that in my library system(if that's where you read about the spray's components, that is)! I have a soon to be laid off lab worker acquaintance that would like to take a look at Anisomorpha's magic sauce.

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Thank you, sir...for some reason I was thinking the glands were on the other end. I'm very careful with these...the effects of the defense, I hear, are very unpleasant.
VERY unpleasant, if it's the same as what we have around here. Tried to catch one when I was a kid, and I still regret that decision.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Ooooh! Where can I get the book? I wanna read it.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thanks again for the book recco., Andrew. A lot of Qs that I have about arthropod defense mechanisms, basic chem., etc. are being answered in this book. :worship:

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These are quite common down here, and I can attest to the effectiveness of their defensive spray. I held a mating pair up to my face to get a closer look when I was a child and received a shot right to the eye that left me in agony for several minutes.

I'm planning to go out this weekend looking for rattlesnakes, PM me if you want me to collect some of them for you.