Animal Planet: Austraila at the Baltimore Aquarium?

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone been there? It opened a few years ago. It sounds awesome, an entire replication of an area in Australia. I saw a special on Discovery a while back about the building of it.

They said every artificial rock used in the exhibit has a real life counterpart in Australia. There are snakes, lizards and birds that roam free in the exhibit, and the larger stuff that shouldnt be roaming free (Salt water crocs, venomous snakes, etc :D) are in very natural looking exhibits.

I'm looking to go this Summer, but if anyone has already been there, and happens to have some pictures, I would love to see them.

Last edited:

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Its the first time to hear about it, though the last time I was there was about a year and a half ago (maybe more) You sure its the Boston Aquarium. The only thing I could think of that is similiar is the australian peguin display but its just penguins. Or the giant ocean reef tank with sea turtles.

Though it is a great aquarium. http://www.neaq.org/index.nonFlash.html

Edit: did some searching the the exhibit you're talking is at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. http://www.aqua.org/australia.html

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its the first time to hear about it, though the last time I was there was about a year and a half ago (maybe more) You sure its the Boston Aquarium. The only thing I could think of that is similiar is the australian peguin display but its just penguins. Or the giant ocean reef tank with sea turtles.

Though it is a great aquarium. http://www.neaq.org/index.nonFlash.html

Edit: did some searching the the exhibit you're talking is at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. http://www.aqua.org/australia.html
Thanks for pointing that out. I edited the post but unfortunatly the visible title is no longer editable. If a mod comes around and can change the title to say "Baltimore" instead of "Boston" that would be great :D.

loyaluntodeath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it is quite possibly the most spectacular place i have ever been to...they have the largest number of cardinal tetras i have EVER seen in one place... I have pictures somewhere dont remember where i put them so i might not g4et to post, but if you ever get a chance to go...do it, its well worth the time, the drive, and the small entrance fee!!

p.s. (i own almost every animal that you see in the entrance to the australia exhibit, im missing 3 of them if i remember correctly :D! gota catch em all! lol)

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmmm... I'm not sure, but I was there this past summer in early September and I didn't think it was anything THAT amazing. I mean, the aquarium itself is awesome and worth the drive, but the Australian part didn't do anything for me. I guess there is a chance that I missed it, but I did not see any massive area that was just open with free ranging animals. Unless you're talking about the Amazon part that's in the large glass canopy section of the building. That part does have free ranging birds and little monkeys and stuff. That certainly not new though. I remember seeing that on a 9th grade field trip, and I'm now 23. As far as the Animal Planet Australia part I did see, was a few animals in their own displays like a frilled dragon and a momba and stuf. Hmmmm... again though, the place is big. We might have missed it entirely. Either that, or it has just opened sometime between now and September.

Shadow Mantis

Arachnopeon
Hi

I actually work at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I do both volunteer and paid work. Hopefully, I will be working behind the scenes to help care for the giant Pacific octopus this summer. We actually opened up our Australia exhibit on December 16, 2005. If you decide to come to the aquarium and tour Australia, be sure to look up in the environment. Many of the creatures, such as the birds, flying foxes, and water dragons, tend to hide up in the trees and on the rocky ledges. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me or visit our website.

Thank You

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I HOPE THIS HELPS :) i

OK :) the tickets are $23 per adult and i think 12 and under is like 15 something. the dolphin show is like $20. If you have young childern it might be worth it. Have fun!!!

Shadow Mantis

Arachnopeon
Current Rates: Adult- $21.95
Children 3-11- $12.95
Seniors 60+ - $20.95
Children Under 3- free
Adults and Seniors add $3 for dolphin show while Children add $1
It is quite possible to overlook the Australia exhibit (many guests have done so). It is found on Level 2 of the Glass Pavillion.

Thank You

Last edited: