Angry little C. darlingi.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0462.JPG Got to love these little bundles of joy. Tiny little ball of attitude!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I see condensation, especially inside the enclosure on the left, man. I would use a "micro" water dish and keep just a tiny corner slightly moist.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see condensation, especially inside the enclosure on the left, man. I would use a "micro" water dish and keep just a tiny corner slightly moist.
Yeah. I didn't put enough vent holes in it.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah. I didn't put enough vent holes in it.
Keep it bone dry with just a dish, if kept properly, they won't require high ventilation.

What are those, pipe cleaners??...looks odd, but I like it...knowing the species, I bet you get an interesting series of web tubes running through that stuff. I bet an incei would go to town in that enclosure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I always gave my Ceratogyrus's deeper sub to burrow than what is pictured.

Agree w/CB on the above as well.

I bet an incei would go to town in that enclosure.
How's that incei w/the sticks looking??

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep it bone dry with just a dish, if kept properly, they won't require high ventilation.

What are those, pipe cleaners??...looks odd, but I like it...knowing the species, I bet you get an interesting series of web tubes running through that stuff. I bet an incei would go to town in that enclosure.
These are their new enclosures. Fresh substrate. That's why it's moist. I'll let it all dry out. Then offer a dish later on when they grow big enough for one.

The green stuff is some stuff from Walmart called Spanish moss. Fake stuff. I'm not really liking it to much. Cool for web anchor points. That's about all.
I always gave my Ceratogyrus's deeper sub to burrow than what is pictured.

Agree w/CB on the above as well.
I did last time with my MF. I would really like to see some webbing done. Rather than a dirt pile. So I am seeing how this turns out.

cold blood

Staff member
These are their new enclosures. Fresh substrate. That's why it's moist. I'll let it all dry out. Then offer a dish later on when they grow big enough for one.

I wasn't actually critiquing your substrate, I was commenting on the ventilation. I'd do the same as you and just let it dry naturally.

But now that you responded:), I will say that because they are on dry, they're never really too small for a water dish....unlike other species, I wouldn't keep damp moss in it for instance.

You're gonna love this little spider, Ceratogyrus are great in every way.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wasn't actually critiquing your substrate, I was commenting on the ventilation. I'd do the same as you and just let it dry naturally.

But now that you responded:), I will say that because they are on dry, they're never really too small for a water dish....unlike other species, I wouldn't keep damp moss in it for instance.

You're gonna love this little spider, Ceratogyrus are great in every way.
I just don't have anything small enough to place in their enclosure. Actually, a lot of the substrate is also still slightly moist. I don't use wet moss either. Not for these. I'll probably add more ventilation so there is less humidity.

There are a few Ceratogyrus that I would like. The darlingi has been one of my favorite species from this genre.

Bri

Arachnopeon
I've had my Ceratogyrus darlingi for about a year now and she is definitely one of my prized T's out of the 4 various species I own. I was fortunate enough to be able to hold her when I bought her but she was quite feisty setting her up in her new home. She absolutely loves it now. She loves this hide I got for her if you are still looking for ideas. She usually stays hidden but constantly funnel webs as you can see in the pic. She is a very happy girl. I keep it very dry, I use coconut fiber substrate and never have to moisten it. Just keep a full water dish and feed every so often. She not much of an eater since she isn't very active. I also recently mated her which was a wild thing to watch. Not sure if it was a success, still checking. The male got engulfed in the aftermath. Very cool species. IMG_0279.PNG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0671.JPG

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I won't be offering to much of a hide for now. They are all three still tiny little slings. Once they get larger, I will end up doing a natural bark setup when they hit their final enclosure.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I sorta like the look of the 'fake' Spanish moss. Lovely green. I might seek some out for anchoring....

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've had my Ceratogyrus darlingi for about a year now and she is definitely one of my prized T's out of the 4 various species I own. I was fortunate enough to be able to hold her when I bought her but she was quite feisty setting her up in her new home. She absolutely loves it now. She loves this hide I got for her if you are still looking for ideas. She usually stays hidden but constantly funnel webs as you can see in the pic. She is a very happy girl. I keep it very dry, I use coconut fiber substrate and never have to moisten it. Just keep a full water dish and feed every so often. She not much of an eater since she isn't very active. I also recently mated her which was a wild thing to watch. Not sure if it was a success, still checking. The male got engulfed in the aftermath. Very cool species. View attachment 223730 View attachment 223728 View attachment 223729
there should be more sub for burrowing, also, handling tarantulas, especially OWs, is not good. they dont like being handled at all. instead of hijacking some ones thread, make your own next time.:)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I sorta like the look of the 'fake' Spanish moss. Lovely green. I might seek some out for anchoring....
I removed it all. It started to mold. I would HIGHLY recommend not using it

there should be more sub for burrowing, also, handling tarantulas, especially OWs, is not good. they dont like being handled at all. instead of hijacking some ones thread, make your own next time.:)
I don't think she was hijacking. Just sharing her experience with her darlingi and offering an idea on a hide like she uses.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I removed it all. It started to mold. I would HIGHLY recommend not using it

I don't think she was hijacking. Just sharing her experience with her darlingi and offering an idea on a hide like she uses.
Disappointing -- it looked so nice. :(