Angry, Angry Tokay!

Coconana

Arachnosquire
Hey guys! I went to the Portland Metro Reptile Expo today and got to meet some wonderful people. Among them were a couple of really awesome reptile enthusiasts who purchased a breeding pair of Tokay geckos and let me take photographs of them! The male seemed pretty relaxed (he has a stubby little tail now since it got caught in a pinch a while ago), but his lady did not want anything at all to do with us.

All we did was open the lid :rofl:

(0.1 Gekko Gecko)

(1.0 Gekko Gecko)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Why are they so angry? So beautiful yet so mad.
Haven't met one yet in the wild that wasn't ready, willing and able to take a chunk out of your hide. Describe a tokay in one word in a face to face encounter: BELLIGERENT.

The Snark

Old Timer
One little tokay tidbit. Don't underestimate that little reptilian ball of fun. DON'T!!

One evening I went outside and apparently startled a tokay. A rat about 7 inches long not counting tail fell at my feet from the eaves. It was still alive but shredded like it had taken a trip in a blender. A rat oh.... just about the size of a human hand.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I think tokay geckos don't even like themselves.. little balls of fury they are. Love them though.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Haven't met one yet in the wild that wasn't ready, willing and able to take a chunk out of your hide. Describe a tokay in one word in a face to face encounter: BELLIGERENT.
I went in a garbage drop-off area in Thailand looking for herps and I saw a bunch of Tokay eggs with one huge angry Gecko next to them. I am not scared of any animal but that gecko looked like she wanted my fingers :).

The Snark

Old Timer
I am not scared of any animal but that gecko looked like she wanted my fingers
She did. :eek:

My rather ignonymous encounter with tokay chomp. Got the blasted thing cornered in the computer room and managed to grab it about the waist. Twist! and wriggle and oh putz so I went to grab it with my other hand as well. CHOMP.
I didn't want to hurt it or end up with a few sutures so I dashed to the bathroom and stuck my hand in the toilet. It worked, but...
Scrubbing the crap out of my hand with Betadyne when wifey looks at the bloody mess. What happened? I stuck my hand in the toilet! NEVER MIND! LEAVE ME ALONE!

Last edited:

Coconana

Arachnosquire
She did. :eek:

My rather ignonymous encounter with tokay chomp. Got the blasted thing cornered in the computer room and managed to grab it about the waist. Twist! and wriggle and oh putz so I went to grab it with my other hand as well. CHOMP.
I didn't want to hurt it or end up with a few sutures so I dashed to the bathroom and stuck my hand in the toilet. It worked, but...
Scrubbing the crap out of my hand with Betadyne when wifey looks at the bloody mess. What happened? I stuck my hand in the toilet! NEVER MIND! LEAVE ME ALONE!
Certain critters have such a great way of landing you in odd situations and making some interesting memories, that's for sure!! Your poor hand! :rofl:

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are so pretty and such jerks! There was a member though on a gecko forum I am on that has hand tamed many of hers. She literally made a muzzle for one out of pipe cleaners so she could handle it easier.

The Snark

Old Timer
She literally made a muzzle for one out of pipe cleaners so she could handle it easier.
If in some bleary delirium I find myself making tokay muzzles... Yup, time to have a long earnest chat with myself and perhaps reserve a room with soft walls in pastel colors.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice photos. Tokays are one of my absolute favorite animals. While they are known for their scrappy attitudes they can and do tame down very nicely if you work with them on a regular basis.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I know absolutely nothing about keeping any of these. Just wanted to say they are gorgeous!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A while back I came across an interesting video of two of them fighting off a snake along a wall. It really did look like one was trying to save the other one and they both did survive. I was pretty impressed by it. A friend of mine had one of those when I was a teenager in the late 70s, that thing did have some attitude.

Here it is:

The Snark

Old Timer
Uhm, I suppose a giant Asian centipede would defeat that belligerent lovely without issues
Yups. Admitting that. Just fished one out of the sink. Got to thinking snake tongs would be the perfect scolopendra handling tool.