Androctonus Heat Lamp

centipeedle

Arachnosquire
Do Androctonus sp. need a heat lamp? I was thinking about using a 5.5 in infrared bulb. Does it need to be turned off at night?

PrincessAltina

ArachnoQueen
Androctonus usually need higher temps to help with molting/breeding, they come from a very hot environment and it's best to recreate that environment as close as possible

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
I’m in the uk out bulbs are measured in watts , what wattage bulb would your recommend to heat the space where my scorpions are?

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
Do you recon if I mounted one to wall it would heat the majority of this space. I’ll put things they require more heat close to the bulb

image.jpg

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I'm using one of those bulbs for each enclosure and I position it at one end of the enclosure to allow the other end to be at a cooler temperature

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
Ye, I don’t have the space to that really once I’ve moved everything to this new place. If I place a bulb at at one end I can get it mounted at an angle to one half of the enclosures and the other half would be room temperature recon this would work ?

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Ye, I don’t have the space to that really once I’ve moved everything to this new place. If I place a bulb at at one end I can get it mounted at an angle to one half of the enclosures and the other half would be room temperature recon this would work ?
That should work... but be careful how close you are to the enclosure because it's made of plastic

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
👍 These ones are good until 75c so should be okay the bulb will be about 20 ish cm away anyway.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
👍 These ones are good until 75c so should be okay the bulb will be about 20 ish cm away anyway.
Please keep in mind the 25 watt bulb I'm using is for each enclosure... at one point I was using a 40 watt nano bulb for 2 enclosures

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
What wattage bulb would you recommend then to heat a large area of space.
here’s what’s I plan on usinghttps://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-basking-infrared-heat-lamp/

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
What wattage bulb would you recommend then to heat a large area of space.
here’s what’s I plan on usinghttps://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-basking-infrared-heat-lamp/
I've never had to heat a large area, always individual enclosures so I'm not too sure about wattage for that

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
If space ia limited, one option you have for species all utilizing same temps is to mount an incandeacent bulb in the lid of a large tub...keep all containers in the tub and use a thermostat with a probe ...dial it where you want the temps to be at.

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
Did some more research a local pet shop (family run, much better than big chains) house all there buthids in a the tubs I do then but those enclosures Vivarium that’s heated with a 75 watt bulb. If the bulb is around 15-20 inches away from the enclosures then selves in my case it will achieve around 95f which is perfect.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive not had a ton of personal success raising them (2 different sets of 10, one in 2019-2020 and one from 2012-2014) but they do, in my experience, need additional heat, and infrared bulbs are the safest and cheapest solution (if you buy them off ebay/amazon) in my opinion

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
Thinking of getting a 75W Infared bulb from a well known brand over here. Heat a large amount of space from a certain distance away to a good temperature 90-95f, should be sufficient?