Androctonus Bicolor

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is probably my favorite species of scorps. I just purchased a possibly gravid female and can't wait to get her next week. I was just curious if anyone can give me some good care facts on them. How should I set up her tank, how should I keep the humidity, will corkbark work as a goo hide? Any other advice will gladly be appreciated.

Matt

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the link. Yea if she does have some scorplings I wanna keep a portion for future breeding projects, but I'll deffinetly sell you some. I wanna make sure they get to some people who know what there doing. I wanna see more of them in US hobby for sure. I'll let you know when/if she does pop.

Matt

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome! Thanks! There are lots of keepers here who are more knowledgeable and experienced than me though. If you want some names to consider, let me know.

Here's one of the terrariums I made for my A. australis. Something like that would work well for the A. bicolor too. And according to Eric's site which I linked to above, cork would work well for hides too.

I would recommend that if you use cork, to either:

A. Use a flat piece and bury one end after pre-digging a scrape, and leave a smallish entry exit.

B. Use half a tube, cut long ways, and bury or plug one end of it with substrate.

The reason for this is to give them somewhere nice and dark to hide in. Also, if you bury an end, make sure to use loose substrate to do so. My substrates shown in the link were very hard, and if my hides were buried, I would have never been able to get them out for pictures/breeding/check ups, etc.

Same goes for Rock hides. I would make an impression where I wanted them to go after making scrapes, while sub still wet. Then remove rocks and let dry. Then, when it hardens, the rock has a nice stable outline to sit in. It is more stable, and removable.

One more thing for now. I would highly recommend printing out a page from a reliable source online on the venom and recommended treatment guidelines asap. Of course, the goal is to not get stung. But accidents happen. And if one does, do you want to think about what to do then? If you have to go to the hospital, and are having major problems, do you want the doctor doing research on this specie he's never heard of? Or, you could have it all there and at the ready! Boom. Then you are getting fixed not staring at the walls in pain! I'm sure you will be careful, but Be Careful! :)

Oops, guess I could add the link huh?
http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/...lis lybicus/?action=view&current=435d0b5e.jpg

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea I really like your set up alot. Yea if you want you can send me a pm of some good people that know what there doing lol. I had some in mind and yes you are one and so was azjohn.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You might want to check out VL's Scorpion of the Month achrives. Only one andro species, A australis. The articles are very well writen. I check there every time I'm thinking of getting anything new.
http://www.venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10077

PS, I'd love a few or five. I had a few sub-adults a few years ago. I traded them for what became, at least a few, of my Rhopalurus junceus colony. At the time the Rj weren't really available in the US as US born babies, at least to the general public. I've been regretting losing my bicolors from day one and would love a new breeding project.

John

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea John your deffinetly on the list for the scorplings if she is pregnant. And thanks for the link. I haven't been this excited for a package in a while.