Androctonus Australis molting problem

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My sub adult female was molting last night.I was so excited.I got up this morning,and she was dead.She had everything out of her skin except for her tail.I've never seen this happen before.I mean to get a tail stuck in a molt.I was wandering if anybody could tell me what I could have done to prevent this from happening,or is there no way of preventing it?

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always believe the most important things to keep in mind when a scorp is about to molt is to make sure the specimen are fully hydrated prior to molting

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are my thoughts- scorpions, though we consider them our singular pets- in the grand scheme of how many there are in the world and live in the wild and molt, some are going to make it and some are going to die. We pay money, sometimes in upwards of $50 for a single scorpion from far away, it doesn't seem right that our single specimen should die during a molt. It sucks because it feels like a loss to you, but scorpions are "bugs" and they can die from so many things. I actually think we should be more relieved and proud when we actually get one to molt in captivity successfully. I'm sorry for your loss- they are a cool species, but don't think it is anything you did wrong specifically. It may never be known what went wrong. My only suggestion would be to try and see the signs/behavior of them getting ready to molt and try to add a few drops of water to the enclosure to try and raise local humidity to make it a little easier for them. Good luck and again, I'm sorry for your loss.

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure you heating in the enclosure was not too high? If you have a light over the enclosure, it can dry them out.

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure you heating in the enclosure was not too high? If you have a light over the enclosure, it can dry them out.
She had 2 hides.1 on the cold side 1 on hot side.She molted on hot side.I sprayed enclosure wall and she drank from the side of tank about 10 hrs before she started to molt.I noticed that she was really sluggish prior to that.I'm guessing it might have been from the heat pad drying her out then.I still have a male and a gravid female that I'm waiting for to pop anytime.Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Once the telson has slipped just a mm in the old tail exo, it can't sting, you can gently and slowly pull the scorps tail out by holding the scorp with one hand and pulling the end of the tail with the other. I've done it countless times with transvaalicus, probably when I didn't need to, some just looked stuck to me when they probably weren't. I would put a drop of rainwater on the tail where it's coming out thinking it might help it slip out. You can do that if you catch that there might be a problem while a molt is going on. I never pull hard, I just put a little stress on it and let the scorp do the work, it can take several minutes. But you can start thinking "oh no, it's stuck" too often when it's not.

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I almost forgot.Her hide on hot side was a piece of cork bark that was kind of rounded on the sides.She was pushed up against the side of it.You think she might of also ran out of room to get out of the skin?

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I almost forgot.Her hide on hot side was a piece of cork bark that was kind of rounded on the sides.She was pushed up against the side of it.You think she might of also ran out of room to get out of the skin?
Not at all - my A. australis have occasionally successfully molted in extremely tight spaces, including in between cork and rocks.

Just like you, I've also had deaths due to mis-molts (as I call them). That's just the way it happens. For what it's worth, I supply all my Androctonus enclosures with a large bottle cap of water that is filled once a week. I see them drink from it all the time. The amount of water is small enough not to raise the relative humidity in the tank. I've been rearing them for over a year now without any issues. Now that I think about it, ALL of my arid species have a small cap of water. Good luck and don't stress too much about your loss - it just happens sometimes.

Jeff

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally when I know my scorp is close to a molt, I will remove or turn off the heating fixture. It has proven time after time to just hurt the situation. It not one has passed since I have made this change.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
what temp do you keep your scorps ? I heard that if the temp is not high enough they will have problem giving birth and molting. I keep mine 84-87, I'm not sure what is the highest temp that can inflict damage on scorps but some care sheet suggest 85-90 and others are 80-85. I decided to to be in the high to mid 80s since they are dessert sp. someone correct me if I'm wrong on the temps. I want to refined my husbandry skills

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what temp do you keep your scorps ? I heard that if the temp is not high enough they will have problem giving birth and molting. I keep mine 84-87, I'm not sure what is the highest temp that can inflict damage on scorps but some care sheet suggest 85-90 and others are 80-85. I decided to to be in the high to mid 80s since they are dessert sp. someone correct me if I'm wrong on the temps. I want to refined my husbandry skills
Cold side 73.middle 80.hot side 86. I have had my Androctonus Mauri's since 2i.There now 4i.I've noticed that they always molt either in middle or on cold side of tank with no problem.If the A.Australis would have made it.It would have been the largest desert sp. that I would have had molt.I didn't know if there was anything special that I needed to do.After reading the reply's I got.I think my biggest problem was the heat pad under the tank.Could have just been life also.Some live,and some die I guess.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with you I think it might be the heat bad :(. I usually use heat pad on the side or on top of my storage shelf but they never touch my scorpion's cages. their purpose is to raise the temps in every cage I have (my cages are insolated btw).

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish my gravid female would pop already.I'm afraid since its so hard to find a male.That something will happen to mine before I'm able to pair him again.I love the Andro's.I was just really counting on breeding her.I don't know how many ppl in the U.S. that has them.It was another chance to help keep them in the U.S. though.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
finding them is not the problem, how much are you willing to spend is the problem. there are a lot of people that have them here in the U.S. but they will not sell them unless you offer them big $. Most people wants to make a profit out of them so if you have the money enough for those people to make profit, then you can have them :). When my high end are stablish I might sell some for good price, just to help our scorpion hobby (but not to everyone only to selected individual).

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I understand that.I'd say that the people that do have them.Probably paid a good price for them to begin with.Then your not guaranteed anything in the end.Even if you do get them to breed.She could die giving birth,or eat the babies.Then if your female or male eats or kills the other one.You're really in the hole.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I used to think that way selling scorps for high price but one of the members here in AB inspired me to sell scorps not to make profit but to improve the U.S. hobby. also, i feel that i will get more lucky from breeding scorps if I'm doing it for good cause :)