Androctonus Australis Hector (Tunisia & Tendrara Morocco) PRO HELP

THR

Arachnosquire
Yeah these are tunisia hectors. My defination is based on adults. Pics below are the usually-called morocco hectors.
One more thing about the morocco hectors, as is defined before, the morocco hectors are pitch black in both chela and metasoma. But there are some morphs which are only pitch black in chela, I wonder if it is a mutation in genes.

Attachments

THR

Arachnosquire
As is described in <Scorpions of the world>, illustrated by Roland Stockman and Eric Ythier and foreword by Victor Fet, hectors are also from Algeria, besides Tunisia and Morocco.

Attachments

THR

Arachnosquire
As for the tunisia hectors, another question is related with the type subspecies, Androctonus australis australis. I was heard that the AAA is complete yellow, which I assume they looks like fig.1, 2 & 3. Fig.4 is a picture of AAA I found in here.

Attachments

THR

Arachnosquire
Yet there are pics labelled as tunisia hectors, which have a similar color pattern of AAA above. Their chelas and metasomas are really bright, the carine are orange to red rather than the normal brown to black. So a question is raised, are those tunisia hectors not AAA? Or what does a real AAA looks like?

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Yet there are pics labelled as tunisia hectors, which have a similar color pattern of AAA above. Their chelas and metasomas are really bright, the carine are orange to red rather than the normal brown to black. So a question is raised, are those tunisia hectors not AAA? Or what does a real AAA looks like?
I know the original post was in May 2017 but seems to be still in debate, here are my thoughts on Androctonus australis hector.
With many other Androctonus from Morocco i.e:-
A. gonneti
A. liouvillei
A. mauritanicus and
A. sergenti - all from Morocco and all very similar to A. australis with various colour forms in each maybe we are looking at one of these other Androctonus rather than a colour morph of A.australis hector.
A. crassicauda is of course from Kuwait/Arab Emirates.
As far as I am aware " hector" is only found in Tunisia - Scorpions of the World has been known not to be 100% accurate as far as locale is concerned.

THR

Arachnosquire
I know the original post was in May 2017 but seems to be still in debate, here are my thoughts on Androctonus australis hector.
A. gonneti
A. liouvillei
A. mauritanicus and
A. sergenti - all from Morocco and all very similar to A. australis with various colour forms in each maybe we are looking at one of these other Androctonus rather than a colour morph of A.australis hector.
As far as I am aware " hector" is only found in Tunisia - Scorpions of the World has been known not to be 100% accurate as far as locale is concerned.
Here are my rough diagnosis of the black Andros you mentioned above:
A. gonneti: Yellowish legs, basic color is reddish brown to brownish black. A little shiny.The ventral lateral carines of the 5th metasoma has an inward curve near the anus, and outward near the 4th segment. (Fig. 1)
A. liouvillei: Different locales with different characters. General color reddish brown to brownish black. Most morphs' chelas are long. The ventral lateral carines of the 5th metasoma is almost luna-shaped, the inflection point of the arc is at the middle. (Fig. 2,3)
A. mauritanicus: Basic color is mattle black, the chela is a little shiny compares to the other body parts. The sexual dimorphism of the chela is comparatively noticeable. The inflection point of the ventral lateral carines of the 5th metasoma is near the 4th segment. (Fig. 4,5)
A. sergenti: Small size with long chela and tiny holes on metasoma. (Fig. 6,7)

Attachments

Last edited:

THR

Arachnosquire
A. gonneti
A. liouvillei
A. mauritanicus and
I'm aware that the Scorpions of the World has some inacurate informations, yet I can barely find any papers towards the morphology of A. australis sensu lato. The only paper I have read recently is about the A. a. garzonii and A. a. hector from Tunisia, but I can't fully understand it. Below is the document.
If you have any other papers, please do send me.

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I'm aware that the Scorpions of the World has some inacurate informations, yet I can barely find any papers towards the morphology of A. australis sensu lato. The only paper I have read recently is about the A. a. garzonii and A. a. hector from Tunisia, but I can't fully understand it. Below is the document.
If you have any other papers, please do send me.
A.amoreuxi amoreuxi - A. amoreuxi baluchincus - A. amoreuxi levi, are all similar colouration to " hector " and all can be found in Morocco.

THR

Arachnosquire
A.amoreuxi amoreuxi - A. amoreuxi baluchincus - A. amoreuxi levi, are all similar colouration to " hector " and all can be found in Morocco.
You sure about the name A. amoreuxi baluchincus? They do all have a yellowish color, but similar to each other only in coloration.