Androctonus and Parabuthus care

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Title says it all. Looking at possibly picking up one of each. mauritenicua and pallidus respectively.

Temps? Cage size and setup? Maintenance?

Would 70-83 be okay permanently?

Thank you :)

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hi,

I am no expert, but here is how I try and keep mine.
I have kept a few Parabuthus species, but not Androctonus.
For my Parabuthus I try and do the following:

Temperature:
I try and keep mine around the following:
- Day: 86°F - 89.6°F (30 - 32°C )
- Night: 77°F - 82.4°F (25 - 28°C)

Humidity:
Humidity never above 60%
We have really dry winters here, so I sometimes struggle with super low humidity(30% and lower), especially if I add additional heat. I have found with really low humidity, some species have difficulty moulting.

Another important aspect that does not get mentioned often is good ventilation/airflow. Try and get some good ventilation going, this will help with preventing things such as mycosis.

Enclosure setup:
This depends on the size of the scorpion. But you don't need a massive enclosure. This size for adult should be fine: 30cm x 16cm x 24cm.
I always add something for the scorpion to hide under, such as a log, rock, bark etc.
If the Parabuthus is a burrowing species such as mossambicensis, I will provide an enclosure that is deeper and add more substrate so it can burrow. I have not personally kept pallidus, so not sure if it likes to burrow or not.
For substrate, I usually use pure sand or sand/clay mix.

Watering:
I will mist the side of the enclosure once a week. I have also used a really small water dish with a few of my scorpions, which I will only add water to once a week as well.

Feeding:
I try and feed them all once a week.

Hope this helps :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hi,

Temperature:

Humidity:
Humidity never above 60%
We have really dry winters here, so I sometimes struggle with super low humidity(30% and lower), especially if I add additional heat. I have found with really low humidity, some species have difficulty moulting.

Another important aspect that does not get mentioned often is good ventilation/airflow. Try and get some good ventilation going, this will help with preventing things such as mycosis.

Enclosure setup:
This depends on the size of the scorpion. But you don't need a massive enclosure. This size for adult should be fine: 30cm x 16cm x 24cm.
I always add something for the scorpion to hide under, such as a log, rock, bark etc.
If the Parabuthus is a burrowing species such as mossambicensis, I will provide an enclosure that is deeper and add more substrate so it can burrow. I have not personally kept pallidus, so not sure if it likes to burrow or not.

Watering:
I will mist the side of the enclosure once a week. I have also used a really small water dish with a few of my scorpions, which I will only add water to once a week as well.

Feeding:

Thanks. :)

Those temps are quite high for me in Canada, I think I'll hold off on them till I can make a small cabinet or something.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
You don't have to reach those temps I listed exactly.
Anything from at least 77F upwards should be ok. With lower temperatures you will usually get less active scorpions and they eat a lot less as well.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You don't have to reach those temps I listed exactly.
Anything from at least 77F upwards should be ok. With lower temperatures you will usually get less active scorpions and they eat a lot less as well.
That's more manageable. I may just get one then. :)

Is there anything wrong with using just bone dry peat moss?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Only have Pallidus, and generally agree with @brolloks. I keep mine at room temperature (for me in Central Florida with AC running constantly is 76-78F). I have a piece of branch and a couple rocks placed for hides, it uses both but the branch more often. I provide enough substrate (70/30 sand and topsoil in my case) to allow for burrowing, but mine has only constructed a space under the hides and no more. This is cool because even when under the hides you can see it. Mine is on the skittish side regarding disturbances, but is out often. It is also initially hesitant of prey, but always snags it within a couple hours. Mine is an orange morph, really sharp looking scorp. If it’s a serious consideration for you, I would cast a yes vote.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Only have Pallidus, and generally agree with @brolloks. I keep mine at room temperature (for me in Central Florida with AC running constantly is 76-78F). I have a piece of branch and a couple rocks placed for hides, it uses both but the branch more often. I provide enough substrate (70/30 sand and topsoil in my case) to allow for burrowing, but mine has only constructed a space under the hides and no more. This is cool because even when under the hides you can see it. Mine is on the skittish side regarding disturbances, but is out often. It is also initially hesitant of prey, but always snags it within a couple hours. Mine is an orange morph, really sharp looking scorp. If it’s a serious consideration for you, I would cast a yes vote.
Actually looking at the orange morph haha. Very cool looking. Love how the tails look. Seem pretty easy to keep too.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
That's more manageable. I may just get one then. :)

Is there anything wrong with using just bone dry peat moss?
Shouldnt be anything wrong with using dry peat moss. Always mist the opposite side of the tank as their hide 1-2 times a week and thats about all youll need for moisture with them. Higher heat would be better especially once adult but lower temps can work while younger.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Actually looking at the orange morph haha. Very cool looking. Love how the tails look. Seem pretty easy to keep too.
Hey, did you ever get this orange morph? And if so, are you following the care above or had any problems?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hey, did you ever get this orange morph? And if so, are you following the care above or had any problems?
Still think buthidae are awesome. But those temps are kinda high. I'd have to set up a cabinet or something if I got any.

BluJaguar

Arachnopeon
Hi,

Temperature:

Humidity:
Humidity never above 60%

Enclosure setup:

Watering:

Feeding:

I have a parabuthus schlecteri...tiny baby. My question is what substrate should I have for it? I bought tons of creature soil (sand, soil, carbon and moss). Since I kept seeing it was called a burrowing kind, I figurd that mix would without burrows better than sand alone. Also, is it supposd to have a tropical humidity? Or a sand dune like enclosure instead? Please let me know asap!! Thanks!!

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I have a parabuthus schlecteri...tiny baby. My question is what substrate should I have for it? I bought tons of creature soil (sand, soil, carbon and moss). Since I kept seeing it was called a burrowing kind, I figurd that mix would without burrows better than sand alone. Also, is it supposd to have a tropical humidity? Or a sand dune like enclosure instead? Please let me know asap!! Thanks!!
Apparently those are quick...

GreenTip

Arachnopeon
Just googling “parabuthus schlecteri” shows that they come from near the nambia desert in south africa.

80-90F during the day with cooler nights. Sand/clay mix of 70/30 (for example, more clay = harder to dig) for burying.

It’s a desert critter so you can spray some tiny droplets of water on one side of the enclosure every few weeks or so. Keep it well ventilated to reduce risk of mycosis.