Andrew Smith's Brachypelma Documentary

joossa

Arachnobaron
Have any of you seen Andrew Smith's Brachypelma documentary on YouTube? His channel is named LoveTarantulas.

What did you all think?

I have seen it a couple times over and just love how he combines the topics of history, folklore, biology, ecology, and conservation. He had mentioned that the DVD version of the documentary contains bonus/extended interviews with two breeders in Mexico. I ordered the DVD just for the bonus content. The breeders' operations and effort to aid conservation by educating the public and providing an influx of captive bred Brachypelma to combat the black market are remarkable. If you have not watched, I highly recommend it.

Based off the comments he's posted, he's got upcoming documentaries. One on baboon spiders taken in Africa and another on Poecilotheria shot in India. Can't wait.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I'm interested in checking this out.
I dunno. But he’s a tarantula handler. Tsk tsk
Not defending handling as I don't handle, but one thing that comes to mind is BirdspidersCh handles when finding specimens in the wild to show locals the spiders aren't to be feared. He says he doesn't handle in his personal collection though. I haven't watched this though

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I´ve seen it. It is very interesting and informative! The Lasiodora movie is also nice to watch!
The actor himself is a bit exhausting and shows little space to connect with sympathy...

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Sorry for using the wrong words... I think I know who that is, but thank you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm interested in checking this out.

Not defending handling as I don't handle, but one thing that comes to mind is BirdspidersCh handles when finding specimens in the wild to show locals the spiders aren't to be feared. He says he doesn't handle in his personal collection though. I haven't watched this though
Yep- he doesn’t handle responsibly if I recall, ie not directly over ground so that if they “fall” they are only walking onto the ground.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have watched the documentary on YouTube, really informative and has loads of great footage. I wasn't aware that the DVD had extras. Gives me extra incentive to acquire this since Brachypelma is by far my favourite genus. Given that the OP is from the states, I guess the discs are region-free ?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I have watched the documentary on YouTube, really informative and has loads of great footage. I wasn't aware that the DVD had extras. Gives me extra incentive to acquire this since Brachypelma is by far my favourite genus. Given that the OP is from the states, I guess the discs are region-free ?
Yes they are, I ordered after watching on YouTube. The price is fair!!!
I think ordering the package with the Lasiodora documentary is the best deal.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes they are, I ordered after watching on YouTube. The price is fair!!!
I think ordering the package with the Lasiodora documentary is the best deal.
Thanks for the confirmation, I will definitely look into it. Can't go wrong with a documentary void of sensationalism and just packed with actual facts.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I´ve seen it. It is very interesting and informative! The Lasiodora movie is also nice to watch!
The actor himself is a bit exhausting and shows little space to connect with sympathy...
I don't feel so good about my blasphemous statement and want to correct myself. Ultimately, I wanted to say that I found it difficult to follow due to the way the conversation was conducted in the video. Of course, this has nothing to do with sympathy and shouldn't be derogatory! My wording was misleading - excuse me!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I don't feel so good about my blasphemous statement and want to correct myself. Ultimately, I wanted to say that I found it difficult to follow due to the way the conversation was conducted in the video. Of course, this has nothing to do with sympathy and shouldn't be derogatory! My wording was misleading - excuse me!
Don’t apologize. You did nothing wrong. And even if you did, not a big deal.

Last edited:

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
I have seen his videos on StupidTube(as viper so affectionally calls it) great series, and a lot of interesting information on the history of Arachnology. Loved just about every minute of it, and will consider getting some of DVD's, both for the physical copies, and to support the man behind the content I have enjoyed.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I watched it! I enjoyed seeing where the spiders were located and getting background information on them. It was bizarrely Eurocentric for being about Mexican spiders, though.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was bizarrely Eurocentric for being about Mexican spiders, though.
All eight species currently in the genus were all described by Europeans over 100 years between 1891 and 1997. It's only since the 1990s when a handful of Mexican researchers began valuable studies, then slowly building to nowadays with diverse projects are thankfully being led by Mexicans (and long may it continue!). Point is, the vast majority of historical angle about these wonder creatures is indeed very Eurocentric. The earlier history is deeply tied to Europeans traveling worldwide to collect "the weird and wonderful" for wealthy private displays and then museums, then followed later by collectors for those who are interested in exotic pets. I feel the bonus material is valuable both highlighting some current Mexican initiatives and especially as 'food for thought' about how those captive animals came into the hobby and how so nowadays we might promote better practices than the past.