and with sunrise day 30 was born

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so, Haplopelma Lividum eggsack's 30th day as of a few hours ago (im england, i judge it by 6pm as thats the time i first noticed it 4 weeks and two days ago:p)

so, I'm thinking of leaving it until the weekend, then dig a fair way into the burrow, then just keep looking in until she discards the egg for a minute to wash or dig, then dig right to the egg and remove it

sorry if i seem like i'm spamming about this topic, but im nervous and excited, and dont want to mess up (in many senses; the egg being destroyed, me being bit, the mother legging it with the egg, the tunnel caving in on her etc etc)

so i'm after some final advice before i go to the point of no return (incubator ready, forceps and trowel in hand, and of course a thin wet flannel incase the spider gets too aggressive i can place it on her, or spray the beast)

how do i remove it from the female if she wont leave it? or do i wait until she will?

thanks in advance :)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think your spamming the subject.
I'd be excited as anything now too and a bundle of nerves.

I have Never had an egg sack so i am watching your posts and the answers and taking notes for the oocasion when I Do have one. :)

Maybe tease her out with a cricket?

I've done that with a few of mine that were hiding. I skeward a cricket on a pipe cleaner and bent the end around so it wouldn't be pointy and hurt the T. The cricket was still wiggling nice.
The used it as a lure.
It's how I keep our demon usambar busy if I have things to do in the tank. I put the cricket on a line in a vent on the other side and let her wrestle it off.

I can't wait for your babies to hatch!

I can't help it. I'm Just so excited for you guys with sacks. :)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haah cheers!

if you were in the UK i'd send you a free baby to make the excitement even better :D

i've read somewhere that if they hold an eggsack and a cricket goes near they may kill the egg though :< i like the pipecleaner idea :D

my best way of controlling my spiders is to shine a light in the opposite direction i want them to go, you can 'steer' them in this way, though i dont know if this will help in this case :S

thanks!

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
haah cheers!

if you were in the UK i'd send you a free baby to make the excitement even better :D

i've read somewhere that if they hold an eggsack and a cricket goes near they may kill the egg though :< i like the pipecleaner idea :D

my best way of controlling my spiders is to shine a light in the opposite direction i want them to go, you can 'steer' them in this way, though i dont know if this will help in this case :S

thanks!
Aaaaw your sweet. :)

I don't know how much a light would divert momma T.
I'm a mom. And yes I know spider mothers and human mothrs are galaxies apart in comparison.
But pure instinct of a female guarding her clutch would prolly make her more prone to crouch tighter over it with nothing to directly attack and draw her away from it.

I don't honestly Know because, like I said I have no spider sack experience.

But a physical distraction would prolly pull her out quicker.

Is there anything you can slide between her and her burrow once she Is out? So she can't swing back and nail you?
Maybe a deli cup tent at ready would help?
Drop it over her gently to keep her off of you while you get the sack maybe?
I sure would NOT want a pissed off momma T looking back from cricket distraction to find me hip deep in her burrow screwing with her eggs.

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A pinky mouse might just do the trick. The point is to get her out of her burrow first (obviously). She should take the eggsac with her, as most T's carry the eggs around with them most of the time. I would recommend digging a lot of the substrate out of the enclosure first, then luring her with a pinky mouse (she should be pretty hungry after all that work, spinning her eggsac :)). Most of the time, they'll drop the sac for a moment to take the pinky, and that's your golden opportunity. Another way to do it is to just get her mad...Not hard w/ H lividum...When those fangs go out, the eggsac falls to the ground. She's distracted by trying to nail you, and once she figures out what's going on, the eggsac will be gone. Don't worry about hurting her feelings, though...She'll forget about the eggsac entirely after a few minutes (and maybe that pinky mouse :p)

Good luck :)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ahh thanks! ill try it soon

i opened the tank today, and as i was about to remove some substrate i realised that the physics point towards when i remove the first dig to the roof, the lower half of the roof will cave in, and im guessing that that wont do the egg any good:S

ok im going to try luring her out the burrow, firstly i'll re-open the entrance though :>

i can see little nifty things through the egg membrane anyway! loads of bumps

oh yeah, roughly what temperature should the 'incubator' be kept at? around 25C? (85-90F) and in the dark i presume?

cheers

Last edited:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm keeping all my crossables crossed for ya deifiler!

Keep us posted.

:) :p :D :p :)