AND, where can i find a good blacklight??

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
where can i find a decent blacklight for a decent price??? any helpful suggestions for a scorpion hunt? :confused:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally.................. I'd try a store. Be it an all purpose store, or a digital one.. They do sell them for flashlights, which is much easier in the field than having a big car battery and a tube light. A maglight for outdoors and any "party" type lamp works fine for scanning enclosures, they do get a little too luminant, but it's not like it's being left on the scorpion for extended periods.

There are not hard to find at all.
I must have passed 6 at homedepot, and another 4 at walmart getting new enclosures for my mini zoo.

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
we searched walymart and found nothing but junk that wouldnt work for scorpions. I found a cordless poster light on ebay recently that looks promising. its maybe a few inches shorter than the one I have now which will illuminate any scorpion within 20 feet .... just havent tested it further.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
we searched walymart and found nothing but junk that wouldnt work for scorpions. I found a cordless poster light on ebay recently that looks promising. its maybe a few inches shorter than the one I have now which will illuminate any scorpion within 20 feet .... just havent tested it further.
Get a mag-lite bulb. And goto spencer gifts, they will without a doubt have a blacklight (poster light). But without a doubt will be cheaper at walmart or the like.... remember digtal stores u have pay to ship. :(

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
here are two links. the first is my wish list United nuclear the second is an eBay seller stopchoose who I bought two from they tak 3 double a's and are what I used to illuminate my avatar shot and my Pandinus under UV vid. [YOUTUBE]bd66wn0dyuY[/YOUTUBE]

Thaedion

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I still haven't gotten one of these ...yet. I've always done just fine road hunting at night on desert roads finding all kinds of stuff. But if I decided to focus in more on scorps, I'd get one sooner than later. I just ordered some black lights for attracting bugs from BioQuip.com. I took a look at their black light for scorp hunting. It looked pretty serious, the price was pretty serious too. It was advertised like the light was even a little dangerous and recommended special glasses to protect your eyes. I think they over did the danger thing. As long as you don't look directly at the light source, I think you'd be OK. I think I read that right at that website. Maybe y'all could check it out to clear things up for yourself about it. Maybe it's a little diff than BLs I've read about:? .

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I still haven't gotten one of these ...yet. I've always done just fine road hunting at night on desert roads finding all kinds of stuff. But if I decided to focus in more on scorps, I'd get one sooner than later. I just ordered some black lights for attracting bugs from BioQuip.com. I took a look at their black light for scorp hunting. It looked pretty serious, the price was pretty serious too. It was advertised like the light was even a little dangerous and recommended special glasses to protect your eyes. I think they over did the danger thing. As long as you don't look directly at the light source, I think you'd be OK. I think I read that right at that website. Maybe y'all could check it out to clear things up for yourself about it. Maybe it's a little diff than BLs I've read about:? .
My BL is the long tube type, and it is very vey bright. I think because the housing/ballast is open faced and the beam is not focuses. If I accidently look directly at it, it burns the eyes harsh, feels like my retnas are on fire.