And so it begins...

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Received 4 Anadenobolus monilicornis and 2 Orthoporus ornatus today. They are all settled into their enclosures and eating. We're thrilled and needless to say already planning what we're getting next. The Sonorans are quite long, roughly 5", right now they are in about 3" of sub w/ a layer of oak leaves and wood on top. The Bumblebees are about 2" and in about 2.5" sub with the same oak leaves and wood. Does the sub need to be dampened? I did spray down the walls (a lot) and the leaves and wood are damp from the rain. Any advice appreciated. Feeling confident we're off to a good start but thinking the Sonorans may need a bigger enclosure with more sub, they were bigger than I expected.

Attachments

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I keep my substrate pretty damp all the way through. Not wet but definitely moist. My Orthoporus ornatus stay burrowed a lot and I think they appreciate the deeper substrate.

Sounds like you are off to a great start!

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
The Orthoporus ornatus like to dig and make tunnels through the substrate, so deeper is better. Mine seem to like it a little dryer on top, with moist substrate at the bottom. I give them a moisture gradient up top, too. The ornatus also like to climb. Mine are always climbing up the stick of cholla I put in there for them.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
The Orthoporus ornatus like to dig and make tunnels through the substrate, so deeper is better. Mine seem to like it a little dryer on top, with moist substrate at the bottom. I give them a moisture gradient up top, too. The ornatus also like to climb. Mine are always climbing up the stick of cholla I put in there for them.
I've noticed one already climbing up a branch. I added water to the sub, it's damp, both are dwelling the surface right now. I'll be moving them to a bigger enclosure asap to give them more sub space.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Congrats awesome critters they are I never would have guessed when I got my first couple that I would be so excited every time I get more before you know it you'll have a house full :) those are some good looking Millie's you got there

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Does the sub need to be dampened?
Most millipedes need substrate that is pretty moist, dry substrate is the bane of most millipede's existence, (with the exception of Orthoporus which actually prefer the top layer of substrate to be a little dry, with the lower layers more moist).