And another arachnonut is created...

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I keep all my Ts at my office. (Before any of you panic, I am the manager, we do NOT spray for bugs, and it's not in an office block, but instead in a converted house. So calm down). My office is a room behind the garage (storage area) that I can climate control. Everyone is comfy and snug at the moment, and I enjoy watching them.

My co-worker BJ has helped me since day one with all the new arrivals. Feeding, watering, rehoming, and texting me when we have a molt! (She gets there before I do). Her two-year old, Amber, has become fascinated with the Ts. She is learning each of their names, and can name several of them accurately if you point to them. (She is only allowed in my office supervised, and knows she has to keep her hands behind her back while there.)

She has just touched her first tarantula. I held Pamina (E campestratus) for her, turned her gently around, and took Amber's hand, one finger out, and very gently let her touch the spider. Welcome to the world of arachnoholics...

Marga

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a good way to start kids out by learning real facts about tarantulas. That way when they grow up they wont be afraid of them or think negatively of them like so many people do.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
We just had a little talk about how the spiders cannot all be touched, and that people sometimes get bitten. This is why Auntie Leah (me, Marga) has to hold the spider. Later, Auntie Leah will pick a spider that Amber can hold.

I'm hoping Pamina (E campestratus) or one of the roseas will get used to handling and I can work with Amber and the T both. I don't handle my spiders unless they seem nonplussed with it. If it seems to bother them, I don't do it. They may also change from one day to the next. I fully accept that in all my animals - they are animals, and that means unpredictable, no matter how "tame" or "trained".

She (Amber) is learning to ask properly for many things. I have no problem with teaching about the Ts (and the other critters, like the cats and guinea pig) as part of her education.

Marga