Anchor points for webbing?

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
How do you create your anchor points for webbers?
Do you have a strategic approach to it, or do you just a couple sticks in all willy nilly?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I buried a fake fern plant in my Chilobrachys Fimbriatus enclosure. Had it coming up at various points and various heights. It worked a treat.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Definitely stuck in willy nilly, but try to avoid the water dish or getting too close to the lid. If they web either area, that's just more work for you.

I personally try to use things that won't mold - coffee stirrers for small webbers, plastic chopsticks for large webbers.

I buried a fake fern plant in my Chilobrachys Fimbriatus enclosure. Had it coming up at various points and various heights. It worked a treat.

C. fimbriatus and a Really Useful Box? Tears of joy mate, tears of joy...

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Nature has a random look to it so if you want a natural looking set up, odd numbers usually look more natural and willy nilly is the way to go.

I don't think the spiders care either way though.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
There's a bit of strategy involved but not a ton and I generally use what I have around...sometimes little kebab wooden sticks sometimes other stuff. Like @EulersK mentioned, I try to keep a space clear for the water dish if possible and structure it in a way that could make an interesting web.

My GBB's current enclosure after the rehousing and now:

Pants_new_home.jpg

pants-4-7.jpg

My L. megatheloides right after rehousing and now (who obviously didn't get the memo about not webbing over its water dish):

Echo_new_enclosure.jpg

echo-4-7.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
There's a bit of strategy involved but not a ton and I generally use what I have around...sometimes little kebab wooden sticks sometimes other stuff. Like @EulersK mentioned, I try to keep a space clear for the water dish if possible and structure it in a way that could make an interesting web.

My GBB's current enclosure after the rehousing and now:

View attachment 236255

View attachment 236256

My L. megatheloides right after rehousing and now (who obviously didn't get the memo about not webbing over its water dish):

View attachment 236257

View attachment 236258
I've given up with my 2 Macrothele Gigas. I just keep an hole over the water dish and keep filling it up.

My Chilobrachys Fimbriatus hasn't bothered webbing the last couple of inches of her enclosure so the water dish doesn’t get webbed.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

Ahhh, BBQ skewers. How could I forget? Those work amazingly as well. Just be sure to put the pointy bit into the substrate.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Ahhh, BBQ skewers. How could I forget? Those work amazingly as well. Just be sure to put the pointy bit into the substrate.
And be conservative when selecting your BBQ sauce. Anything past medium spicy will make them act psychopathic.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Do you have a strategic approach to it, or do you just a couple sticks in all willy nilly?
My anchor points look like a random assortment of branches and leaves, but I leave openings that are suitable for tunnels. I also try to put the water dish as far from any anchor points as possible, and so far, that has discouraged webbing of the dish.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I typically get a protractor and a compass. I calculate the sine, cosine and tangent. I take those data points generate a Fourier transform, and map those data points to Earth's magnetic field.

If you don't do that, you are just one negligent T keeper and might as well leave the hobby before you get started.

basin79

ArachnoGod

I realised I didn't post any pics of her enclosure webbed up. So took some today. She's been digging a bit but will soon cover it over again I suspect.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like my N incei homes quite a bit.
Seems I have no choice but to get a heavy webber... That looks amazing!
Get a GBB or an N. incei. A Green-bottle Blue is probably the heaviest webber IMO. incei come close, but in my limited experience w/this species their webbing doesn't become as thick/dense. Once they set up shop they make some changes over time a bit but that's about it. GBBs on the other hand just keep webbing and webbing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In all honesty when it comes to C.cyaneopubescens and such web-luvers, everything can be used as anchor points, even (right sized of course) dildos, uh :-s

Said spiders will cover those with web, no matter.

With that said I'd love to use fake Exo's leaf, cork bark, whatever.