Anal Impaction or Toilet Paper Shortage?

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I noticed what looks like white fecal matter on the spinnerets and anus of my mature female Brachypelma emilia. Her behavior and appetite seem normal. She is ~10 years old and hasn't molted in 812 days. I have attached a photo of her anal region. Can anyone tell me if this is Impaction or did she just run out of TP?

20200705_231547.jpg

Last edited:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
It looks a little concerning, but if her behavior is normal, it may not be cause for concern. I'd keep an eye on her behavior.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would be very concerned, yes. You can clearly see where she has been rubbing the area repeatedly, because the urticating hairs have been removed right above her anus. That is definitely not normal.
Try wetting down the area with warm water to see if that clears some of the blockage.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I noticed what looks like white fecal matter on the spinnerets and anus of my mature female Brachypelma emilia. Her behavior and appetite seem normal. She is ~10 years old and hasn't molted in 812 days. I have attached a photo of her anal region. Can anyone tell me if this is Impaction or did she just run out of TP?

View attachment 351897
The worn regions above suggest she's been rubbing due to this. I would apply some warm water to the area. No guarantees on this. Make sure her water dish is full too.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you have an update @natebugman?
No change at this point, I tried using warm water and a q-tip to clean the area. I got most of the external stuff, but it still appears blocked. A few days later I noticed more feces caked around the spinnerets. Not sure if that means she was able to push more out or what. I plan to try again tonight.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
No change at this point, I tried using warm water and a q-tip to clean the area. I got most of the external stuff, but it still appears blocked. A few days later I noticed more feces caked around the spinnerets. Not sure if that means she was able to push more out or what. I plan to try again tonight.
Good luck. I hope she's ok.