An OBT acting weird. Imagine that...

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
My OBT sling molted about a week ago, so I have tried to feed it. The first time I tried was Sunday. The cricket ran down the burrow and I think it was bitten. Today I tried again and the OBT grabbed the cricket and didn't let go, as if it wanted to eat it. I let go of the cricket that was in my tongs and the spider was still holding on to it. So I thought, "Good, he/she is ready to start eating again." Now, the OBT is sitting next to the very, very dead cricket as if they are the best of friends. I don't believe he/she is eating it, which is really weird for an OBT. It is slightly expected that an OBT would behave this way, but I just thought I would share.

--Dan;)

winwin

Arachnoknight
It might not yet be ready to eat and finds the cricket as disturbance that's why he killed it.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try leaving him alone, sometimes a disturbance will cause the tarantula to drop its prey. And why are you hand feeding it with tongs?

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Try leaving him alone, sometimes a disturbance will cause the tarantula to drop its prey. And why are you hand feeding it with tongs?
It turns out he wasn't really interested,he was just pissed. I don't hand feed him, I put the cricket in the tongs so if he doesn't want it, I can take the cricket away. Today he did a bit of house cleaning and now the dead cricket is outside of his burrow just sitting there dead. I will try again in a couple of days.

--Dan;)

Titandan

Arachnopeon
My OBT's did the same thing... he doesn't eat the cricket that he killed and it starts to rot!

Then I have to clean it. I wonder why they kill and not eat? I was waiting for a molt and it wouldn't molt. I just fed it yesterday after weeks of not feeding it lest it not eat again but he ate yesterday! :clap:

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good suggestion! Today I tried without the tongs, he was very interested;P!

--Dan
Voila, he probably just didn't like the disturbance, I wouldn't worry too much about leaving a live cricket in overnight unless your OBT is in serious premolt. Good job that he ate, who knows sometimes they just don't want to eat for a while. I had an Aphonopelma sp guatemala who molted and wouldn't eat anything for almost a month after the molt. It wasn't until he had his burrow done that he finally began eating again, might be some type of comfort thing involved.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
This is what happened when I fed it without tongs...{D
I like how only one fang is in the cricket. A couple moments after this, he put his fang through the crickets neck.

--Dan

Attachments