An Interesting if Not Distracting Read

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was looking at the smuggling out of Phillipines stories.

that happens in the Philllipines?? Hard to believe :rofl: :rolleyes: :banghead:

few years ago I told people that Poland was another hub for smuggling. Some people were angry, etc said it wasn’t true.

Notice where the 119 Ts came from - Poland

Those dummies can kiss it :mooning:

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I was looking at the smuggling out of Phillipines stories.

Aw dude... Now you're just gonna get the old time smugglers saying "that's just the way it is" or "where do you think your spiders came from". They do this to justify their lack of morals. Scum, utter scum I say.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

few years ago I told people that Poland was another hub for smuggling. Some people were angry, etc said it wasn’t true.

Oh yes I saw Poland was the culprit.

I was glancing at some of the other smuggling topics on that site. Think there was one on 775 T's being smuggled that got intercepted.

Last edited:

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Smuggling is such a black eye on the hobby. I understand the logistics of needing wild caught pairs to eventually produce captive bred slings, but that needs to be done responsibly and with respect for the animals population and the native environment. And most shipments are actually species that ARE ALREADY READILY AVAILABLE AS CB :banghead:

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
What happens to these Ts when theyre taken by the Fish and Wildlife department? Are they killed? Certainly they arent releasing them, and I doubt they have the time to properly care for hundereds of slings. Id guess they suffer a worse fate than if they were successfully smuggled. Not defending smuggling at all, I hate the practice, but its interesting to think about.

Shinn

Arachnosquire
What happens to these Ts when theyre taken by the Fish and Wildlife department? Are they killed? Certainly they arent releasing them, and I doubt they have the time to properly care for hundereds of slings. Id guess they suffer a worse fate than if they were successfully smuggled. Not defending smuggling at all, I hate the practice, but its interesting to think about.
Depends on if the local wildlife department has the expertise and funding to do anything. Otherwise. They are mostly dead Ts. Same with any other smuggled animals. The more exotic the lower their chance of survival.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Depends on if the local wildlife department has the expertise and funding to do anything. Otherwise. They are mostly dead Ts. Same with any other smuggled animals. The more exotic the lower their chance of survival.
If they hadn't been smuggled, they would still be alive and thriving in their native habitat.
Fish and wildlife didn't kill them, smugglers did.

Shinn

Arachnosquire
If they hadn't been smuggled, they would still be alive and thriving in their native habitat.
Fish and wildlife didn't kill them, smugglers did.
Of course. Just saying that expertise and resources Wildlife department have access to can be limited to deal with the broad variety of animals involved in exotic pet trade. Sucks for the animals the moment they get displaced illegally their chances of survival goes down with poor transport and handling condition, inhospitable environment etc. It may not be a guaranteed happy ending even if they were seized by the authorities.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Of course. Just saying that expertise and resources Wildlife department have access to can be limited to deal with the broad variety of animals involved in exotic pet trade. Sucks for the animals the moment they get displaced illegally their chances of survival goes down with poor transport and handling condition, inhospitable environment etc. It may not be a guaranteed happy ending even if they were seized by the authorities.
USF&W agents can't even recognize different species. I have heard stories of illegal Dart Frogs being imported but labeled as a legal species and getting into the country no problem.

jc55

Arachnoknight

Lol hub? Looking at the numbers coming from Poland i think they might be trying to corner the market.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Smuggling is such a black eye on the hobby. I understand the logistics of needing wild caught pairs to eventually produce captive bred slings, but that needs to be done responsibly and with respect for the animals population and the native environment. And most shipments are actually species that ARE ALREADY READILY AVAILABLE AS CB :banghead:
I mean, considering that the tarantulas were all tiny slings and the shipment came from Poland, this doesn't really seem to have anything to do with wild caught t's. Just someone smuggling slings to a place where they're illegal to import regardless of wc/cb status. The illegality is the only difference between this and any trade in cb tarantulas.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I mean, considering that the tarantulas were all tiny slings and the shipment came from Poland, this doesn't really seem to have anything to do with wild caught t's. Just someone smuggling slings to a place where they're illegal to import regardless of wc/cb status. The illegality is the only difference between this and any trade in cb tarantulas.
Wasn't speaking specifically on this case, I just got heated about smuggling in general. Sorry that wasn't more clear!

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Importing and exporting tarantulas in the Philippines is illegal so non native species that are being kept there are 100% smuggled or at least came from smuggled specimens and also 100% of native Philippine tarantulas outside the country are smuggled or from smuggled specimens. Also, keeping tarantulas there is illegal without a permit. I'd say about 90% of the hobby there is illegal and is categorized under the black market