An exciting new addition! - Megaphobema mesomelas (replacement)

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!

If You guys saw my last post : http://arachnoboards.com/threads/a-big-loss-today-why-any-ideas-megaphobema-mesomelas-female.294919/

My collection suffered from a big loss. My beloved female M. mesomelas has passed away.

But today actually to be precise yesterday ;) I recived a package with a replacement a adorable little sling Megaphobema mesomelas :)

Here's she well like we all I hope it's a 'she' and her new enclosure and my idea for little water dishes :

Last picture is terrible but when I opened the package she rn into my hand so I took quick picture ;)

What do You guys think of her and her enclosure please share some toughts :) - like always forgive me if my English is not perfect but it's not my native language. (I think I'm going to paste that under any psot automatically ;))

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!

If You guys saw my last post : http://arachnoboards.com/threads/a-big-loss-today-why-any-ideas-megaphobema-mesomelas-female.294919/

My collection suffered from a big loss. My beloved female M. mesomelas has passed away.

But today actually to be precise yesterday ;) I recived a package with a replacement a adorable little sling Megaphobema mesomelas :)

Here's she well like we all I hope it's a 'she' and her new enclosure and my idea for little water dishes :

Last picture is terrible but when I opened the package she rn into my hand so I took quick picture ;)

What do You guys think of her and her enclosure please share some toughts :) - like always forgive me if my English is not perfect but it's not my native language. (I think I'm going to paste that under any psot automatically ;))
I'm happy that you got a replacement. M.Mesomelas is a species I hope to learn more about in the future

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Well,you know I like it.And they survive just fine with appropriate care.
Best of luck with her. (being optimistic for you).

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
And they survive just fine with appropriate care.
So wanted happened to the hundreds ( thousands? ) of these things that were imported the last 15 years ? Why are they still rare ?

Later, Tom

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
So wanted happened to the hundreds ( thousands? ) of these things that were imported the last 15 years ? Why are they still rare ?

Later, Tom
I don't know if they were imported in those numbers 15 years ago.If you have proof they were,show us your documention.

Even if they were,I would guess the losses would be due to improper care,housing.Heck,I don't know.Maybe 97 percent were male.15 years ago,keepers didn't have the knowledge of T,s we have learned since then.
I based my post on my first hand experience working with these animals.Seeing how the breeding of cb slings seems to be limited with this particular T,most would be imported wc stock.and we know this can be problematic with various parasites,and stress of travel.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Not 15 years ago, over the last 15 years. Yes tons of these have been imported. This isn't a new species, they have been coming in forever. I've personally seen imports of them at my friends house that I use to pick spiders up at. He wasn't the only importer bringing them in either. I know they aren't impossible to raise. I've raised them to adult, but eventually they females die for unknown reasons. Do you know anyone with a ten year old female ? I don't.

This spider is s smugglers dream. They smuggle WC adults or eggsacs into Europe. They are sold and imported to the U.S. for big bucks. No one can breed them, then they die off. A couple of years go by and smugglers are offering "rare mesomelas" again lol. That's been the pattern of this species for the 20+ years I've been collecting.

Yes, more information on how to keep them is available today. But it wasn't a secret back then either. I've been to Monteverde where they are from. I'm quite familiar with the habitat, yet mine didn't live long term either. So I ask again, where are all the 10-15 year old mesomelas in the U.S ?

Later, Tom

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
OK.Tell us your theory as to why this particular T is,in your words,dying off.
I'm all ears,and willing to listen.
And I will say again,beats the heck out of me where the 15 year old mesomelas are at.
And if this particular T is proving difficult,dont get another one.;)

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
@Kenley congratulations on the new acquisition. Good to know you replaced the one that unfortunately passed. I don't know enough about the species to offer more than the congrats though.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Haven't bought one in years, I'd rather light my money on fire lol. If I knew why they were dying off early and not living a full life I would of adjusted it and fixed the problem lol. However my speculation would start with the unique habitat that come from, along with long term exposure to higher temps then they are use to eventually takes its toll ? I don't know.

Anyways, for anyone interested more on the topic I would suggest searching out the following article.

Hijmensen ,E. 2016. Megaphobema mesomelas (On Why This Species Should Not Be in Captivity) Journal of the British Tarantula Society 31(2): 10-16

Later, Tom

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Anyways, for anyone interested more on the topic I would suggest searching out the following article
Thank you.I will most certainly check out the info.
Appreciate your insite and experience with these animals.
Respect.:)

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've had my adult female for 7 months now. 65f and mostly soaking wet substrate with loads of springtails to take care of any potential mould/mite problems.

So far so good.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Haven't bought one in years, I'd rather light my money on fire lol. If I knew why they were dying off early and not living a full life I would of adjusted it and fixed the problem lol. However my speculation would start with the unique habitat that come from, along with long term exposure to higher temps then they are use to eventually takes its toll ? I don't know.

Anyways, for anyone interested more on the topic I would suggest searching out the following article.

Hijmensen ,E. 2016. Megaphobema mesomelas (On Why This Species Should Not Be in Captivity) Journal of the British Tarantula Society 31(2): 10-16

Later, Tom
I am interested in reading this...but when I typed it in the search engine, nothing relevant appeared. Do you have a link? :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I am interested in reading this...but when I typed it in the search engine, nothing relevant appeared. Do you have a link? :)
Its not a online thing, its a published article in the Journal of the British Tarantula Society. Email me at Tompatterson77@gmail.com and I can send it to you.

Later, Tom

basin79

ArachnoGod
Its not a online thing, its a published article in the Journal of the British Tarantula Society. Email me at Tompatterson77@gmail.com and I can send it to you.

Later, Tom
Yeah I've got that journal. I can only speak regarding an adult that I've only had 7 months. But if kept moist and cool they seem to do fine and have an healthy appetite.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Right on, I'll meet you all back here in 5 years to check in on your spiders and see how those breeding projects worked out for ya's lol ;)

Later, Tom

boina

Lady of the mites
Right on, I'll meet you all back here in 5 years to check in on your spiders and see how those breeding projects worked out for ya's lol ;)

Later, Tom
There have been at least two sacs (actually I think 3) in Europe during the last year or so. I'm not sure if they were all from WC mothers, but one breeder told me the secret was keeping them cold (below 70F / 20C) and even colder for breeding. At the moment they are easily available around here and prices are dropping.

Anyway, if I email you will you send me the article, too? I've got two of them and at least one of them is female, and I'd really like to keep her/them alive long term.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
There have been at least two sacs (actually I think 3) in Europe during the last year or so. I'm not sure if they were all from WC mothers, but one breeder told me the secret was keeping them cold (below 70F / 20C) and even colder for breeding. At the moment they are easily available around here and prices are dropping.

Anyway, if I email you will you send me the article, too? I've got two of them and at least one of them is female, and I'd really like to keep her/them alive long term.
Yes I'm aware of the breeder (smuggler) in Germany who's been "hatching" them form his WC stock. I don't know if the article will help you keep them, as that's not what its really about, but I'd be happy to send it to you if you email me.

Later, Tom