An Additional Characteristic Description

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brachypelma baumgarteni
FCB54326-5E7D-43A5-A8E1-5E734358DF45.jpeg
Brachypelma boehmei
D851BC12-84A1-41E7-A5DC-F8D4F07582A4.jpeg Another Characteristic Description Between Brachypelma baumgarteni and Brachypelma boehmei and Brachypelma baumgarteni x boehmei Hybrids:

This is another characteristic description that I keep forgetting to talk about that I feel is important. The only ones that I’ve seen with an orange/beige/peach coloration on top “dorsal view” of the trochanter “Ring” is Brachypelma baumgarteni. The bottom “ventral view” of the baumgarteni trochanter is black it meets more than half way with the orange coloration.

Brachypelma boehmei and hybrids baum/boehmei has a black coloration around the entire trochanter.
The good news is it makes it easier to describe the baumgarteni away from the boehmei or hybrids. The bad news is boehmei and hybrids will still be tricky to properly ID. The close up photo was taking from a dead specimen immature male baumgarteni, the other photo is of a boehmei. The trochanter is the section between the femur of each legs and the carapace. I think you guys get the idea of what I’m talking about though.
Hope this information helps...

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing!
Morning! I kept forgetting about this detail characteristics every time I’ve posted about the baumgarteni, boehmei and hybrids. Is a section of the tarantulas body that I normally don’t talk about. It’s an important section to differentiate the two species apart including the hybrids. As far as I know from some of the hybrids that I’ve personally seen or seen photos of them, they have the black color around the trochanter.

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brachypelma baumgarteni x boehmei - Immature Male “Hybrid”
E8198FE8-5F11-412A-87A2-D8BDE2D67101.jpeg
Brachypelma baumgarteni x boehmei - Mature Male “Hybrid”
9E66CC05-7285-41AA-88D8-B7A32B0D546F.jpeg I know that a lot of hobbyists or taxonomists say you can’t use colors to ID a tarantula, but I feel that it’s necessary to use this tool to proper ID species. It’s important to look at every detail that tarantulas have to help ID species.

My mature male baumgarteni x boehmei has the black coloration around the trochanter. If you google baumgarteni and if you see an actual image of a mature male of them, you’ll notice that even they have the orange/beige/peach coloration after maturity. I can’t post any photos of them but I can certainly post photo of my hybrid Immature male and after he mature.

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I'm intrigued, this is good info and nice pictures. So what are you going to do with the MM hybrid???

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That’s a super useful trick. I’ve spent the last 20 mins looking at pics of “baumgarteni” around the internets. Quite a few are hybrids.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That’s a super useful trick. I’ve spent the last 20 mins looking at pics of “baumgarteni” around the internets. Quite a few are hybrids.
That’s right! Now you know why I always tell people that they’re specimens are either hybrids or boehmei when they think is baumgarteni. Yesterday I had to help someone ID they’re spider which turn out baumgarteni. This person lives in Finland. But for the most part like you said they’re mostly hybrids when you google baumgarteni.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Brachypelma baumgarteni
View attachment 272850
Brachypelma boehmei
View attachment 272851 Another Characteristic Description Between Brachypelma baumgarteni and Brachypelma boehmei and Brachypelma baumgarteni x boehmei Hybrids:

This is another characteristic description that I keep forgetting to talk about that I feel is important. The only ones that I’ve seen with an orange/beige/peach coloration on top “dorsal view” of the trochanter “Ring” is Brachypelma baumgarteni. The bottom “ventral view” of the baumgarteni trochanter is black it meets more than half way with the orange coloration.

Brachypelma boehmei and hybrids baum/boehmei has a black coloration around the entire trochanter.
The good news is it makes it easier to describe the baumgarteni away from the boehmei or hybrids. The bad news is boehmei and hybrids will still be tricky to properly ID. The close up photo was taking from a dead specimen immature male baumgarteni, the other photo is of a boehmei. The trochanter is the section between the femur of each legs and the carapace. I think you guys get the idea of what I’m talking about though.

So lets test this pinche lol....I think you will know the poster and seller of this post lol. Hybrid or Baum?

http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/brachypelma-baumgarteni.20516/

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You did not answer the question ....Hybrid or Baum?
You know the answer to that, we’ve talked about it millions of time. Also remember supposedly he order true baumgarteni from Europe and he intends to breed any male baumgarteni with his female hybrid.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
You know the answer to that, we’ve talked about it millions of time. Also remember supposedly he order true baumgarteni from Europe and he intends to breed any male baumgarteni with his female hybrid.
Well for the rest of the AB readers who don't have background knowledge I think you are saying there is clearly a black ring near or on the trochanter on that spider and therefore it is a HYBRID.....

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well for the rest of the AB readers who don't have background knowledge I think you are saying there is clearly a black ring near or on the trochanter on that spider and therefore it is a HYBRID.....
Yes that’s a perfect example of a female hybrid the has the black coloration around the trochanter.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Brachypelma baumgarteni
View attachment 272850
Brachypelma boehmei
View attachment 272851 Another Characteristic Description Between Brachypelma baumgarteni and Brachypelma boehmei and Brachypelma baumgarteni x boehmei Hybrids:

Thanks a lot mi amigo. I'm glad you are back on the forum, wasn't the same without you. I can always count on you for excellent eagle eye hybrid spotting! And excellent images to help.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks a lot mi amigo. I'm glad you are back on the forum, wasn't the same without you. I can always count on you for excellent eagle eye hybrid spotting! And excellent images to help.
I guess posting this thread was a very good reason for me to come back into the hobby. Apparently I never left lol.