amputation

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't plan on going here again but there was a co inky dink. Another one molted today, a male. I'm going to give it a try in few weeks, see how any mating goes with Unochela.

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Todd,

I'm a little late getting into this one but wow, way cool photos. For a sec, I couldn't believe what I was seeing...I was thinking no way that it regenerated to full size. Anyway, just wanted to share that I had that happen to an adult female B. occitanus several years back. The claw dried up on her and froze in a closed position. At the time, I remember wondering if I could cut it off. I never did but she had a rather large clutch with the damaged claw. Good thing for her the claw was pulled in rather close so it really didn't hinder her that much...she was still a pretty good hunter. Keep us posted on the scorps health.

W. Smith

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That photo of the male molting was extremely cool! (Though on the 'gross' side, it kinda looks like you have one scorp vomiting forth the other. :p )

Can I assume that if the pedipalp and chela had not dried up, then when the appendage was backlit it would have appeared opaque?

I do find it rather interesting and surprising that scorps don't regenerate lost appendages -- seems like the ability to do so is generally fairly common in more primitive lifeforms.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are these basic Hagogenes or the weird species you got from China?

if the latter, asian stuff always seems to carry more parasites than others.

100% justified amputation, let us know how she does.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
are these basic Hagogenes or the weird species you got from China?

if the latter, asian stuff always seems to carry more parasites than others.

100% justified amputation, let us know how she does.
the scorpions from china he got turned out to be a Scorpiops species, Hadogenes are strictly isolated to southern africa i think, but could be wrong.

John

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the scorpions from china he got turned out to be a Scorpiops species, Hadogenes are strictly isolated to southern africa i think, but could be wrong.

John
no, you are right, and i was right on my initial guess on the ones form china... i was just in a state where i really couldnt tell as to which species this was. hadogenes are limited to the area you mentioned, but there are quite a few species from there...

it used to be trogolytes, and then paudicens, and even H, bicolor.... all of that genus love rocks to hide in though and are slow growers, awesome to see a molt or two from one even if they are paudicens, (sorry for any misspellings, i have only worked with buthids for the last three years, heck i can barely even spell Pandinus correctly anymore!)

Fire Starter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive tried that before, in my case my emperors leg was cut off slowly, it looked like something was eating it. so i decided to cut it off, not a single reaction from the scorpion when i cut off one of its legs. i dont know what happend to his leg but it looked like some parasites were slowly eating it...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen that with a couple of emps I've had too. Both times it happened when a female had gotten very territorial and injured a male. Ime, it's harder to save a tropical species from bacterial infection, or an opportunistic invert that likes moisture, like phorid fly larvae. I had two emps that died of infection that the cause fed off the moisture emps like, but the trogs like it drier which is a less desirable place for those diddlys that cause a problem. So this fat momma made it!:clap: I'm confident we will see more of her through babies too. I'm going to try to keep her comfy and see how it goes.

Last edited: